Building a slapback delay

Started by ljudsystem, August 24, 2018, 02:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljudsystem

I've got an old Dano Reel Echo that i only use for slapback (one repeat around 100 ms and a bit of warble). It sounds good but its a beast. It takes up half my pedalboard!  :icon_eek: So i'm thinking i'll build something that takes up less space. Preferably 1590B sized.

I'm thinking either the Deep Blue Delay with the profundis lfo but i'm unsure if it will fit in a 1590b box.

Could the Small Angel Chorus be modded to work as a slapback delay by changing the pin 6 resistor?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: ljudsystem on August 24, 2018, 02:52:01 AM
I've got an old Dano Reel Echo that i only use for slapback (one repeat around 100 ms and a bit of warble). It sounds good but its a beast. It takes up half my pedalboard!  :icon_eek: So i'm thinking i'll build something that takes up less space. Preferably 1590B sized.

I'm thinking either the Deep Blue Delay with the profundis lfo but i'm unsure if it will fit in a 1590b box.

That's a reasonable thought. Whether it fit a 1590B, I don't know.

Could the Small Angel Chorus be modded to work as a slapback delay by changing the pin 6 resistor?

Yes, it'd be easy to mod for a slightly longer delay. It's *almost* there already.

HTH,
Tom

ilcaccillo

Hello ljudsystem,
I had the same needs as you, let me just tell you before you take your time to build something that the Danelectro BLT slap echo pedal does exactely what you need and sounds pretty good.
It's a pretty inexpensive pedal and it would save you time and money in building something.

You can get one for really cheap from ebay

Danelectro DJ-3C BLT Echo Mini Effects

https://www.amazon.com/Danelectro-DJ-3C-Echo-Effects-Pedal/dp/B0002D03B6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

thermionix

If you want analog, for CHEAP, there's the Behringer VD400.  No modulation though.

ljudsystem

Modulation is important to me, I need a bit of tape wobble. The BLT doesn't have modulation either, right?

Could I change the 10k resistor going from pin 14 to the 0.1uF cap to a pot to make a mix control? 

Danich_ivanov

I have no experience with pt2399 chips, but i'm pretty sure that you can combine Lfo section from chorus with the rest being deep blue delay. Again, I don't know exactly, but I see that chorus Lfo is hooked up to the pin 2 of the chip, where in deep blue delay you have a fixed cap, and first thing that comes to mind is build a deep blue delay, replace fixed cap with lfo from chorus, and see if it flies. If it does, I would use a single, dual channel IC for lfo and input section of Deep blue delay, and replace it's output section (being opamp) with some sort of a transistor (jfet possibly?) based gain stage, tillman preamp for example.

merkaleli

Try Valve Wizard Equinox II. It's not a real reverb effect but, does a slapback effect.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Danich_ivanov on August 27, 2018, 07:48:04 AM
I have no experience with pt2399 chips, but i'm pretty sure that you can combine Lfo section from chorus with the rest being deep blue delay.

Yeah, this is a good idea. Take whatever delay circuit you like, then add the Little Angel LFO and feed it to pin 2.

thermionix

Quote from: ljudsystem on August 27, 2018, 05:46:50 AM
Modulation is important to me, I need a bit of tape wobble.

I'm surprised it's audible in a quick slap-back.

ljudsystem

Well, it's subtle but still audible.

ljudsystem

Thermionix, you're right. I played around with the reel echo and the modulation is not really audialble at the slapback setting.

Guess I'll just build the deep blue delay then.