Fuzz Face phat mod question....

Started by brokenstarguitar, August 25, 2018, 07:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Im building a ff for a friend and going to add the phat mod (100nf cap between the collector and base of q2). Now i want to add the pot "in series" with the cap but not grasping for some reason. Would i connect the end of the cap that should go to the toggle to lug 3 of the pot and connect lug 2 of the pot to the toggle with lug 1 to ground?

thermionix

No lug to ground.  You want a variable resistor not a voltage divider.  That means you only need to use two lugs, the wiper and one of the outside lugs (which outside lug depends if you want CW or CCW operation).  Some folks would prefer to connect the unused lug directly to the wiper, but it isn't necessary.

Elijah-Baley

Very useful information. 8)

Thanks! ;)

Edit: I added the document that thermionix had showed in the first post, because those mods are very cool!

«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

brokenstarguitar

Quote from: thermionix on August 25, 2018, 08:33:23 PM
No lug to ground.  You want a variable resistor not a voltage divider.  That means you only need to use two lugs, the wiper and one of the outside lugs (which outside lug depends if you want CW or CCW operation).  Some folks would prefer to connect the unused lug directly to the wiper, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks! I understand now. Ive taken a few months off and just getting back into it so some of the basics need to be resharpened.

BetterOffShred

I literally had my FF clone sitting unfinished for a year and boxed it on Thursday.. going to try some of these mods!

Elijah-Baley

My Silicon Fuzz Face DIY works very well when I control the gain using the Volume Pot of my guitar. I'd suggest to try a pot in front of the circuit, I guess 100k could be ok. You should do a research about it.
This mod is not in that page I linked, but it is known well. ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

goo

putting a "gain" pot in front of the circuit works as the guitar volume, right but it also brings (affects) the noise: gain reducing smoother, but also noisier... joe gagan's easy face circuit.
fuzzfuzzfuzz