Devi Ever Noise Floor question (Soda Meiser)

Started by Esppse, August 26, 2018, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esppse

Hey I'm trying to build a noise floor. Apparently it is a soda Meiser with a chaos and noise switch.

This layout has the chaos switch I believe.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y7gcfRKQFgA/TPrm6PRbJkI/AAAAAAAAAS8/KdZUwIThYLY/s1600/Effector%2B13%2BSoda%2BMeiser-728130.png

Do you guys know how to get the noise switch, which I think deactivates a gate on the circuit if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks

moid

Amazingly enough I actually own this pedal :) On the downside I have just opened it to look inside... ay yi yi. First of all I bought this as a kit from Dwarfcraft after they bought Devi Ever FX, so it was a PCB that I (somehow) soldered the hell out of to get it working (the instructions were really bad, and for a beginner this was not an easy thing to build... including several mistakes on the instructions that prevented it from working). Anyway, mine works, but understanding what is happening on the PCB is hard because the PCB could be used to make multiple different devi ever fuzzes so has unused sections all over the place. Also the traces for the circuit are hidden inside the plastic of the PCB so it is hard to tell which part connects to what.... urghhhh.

Edit: You are in luck! It looks like I drew a vero layout for this pedal with the idea of making a clone and modifying it (not sure if I ever did do this...) anyway, this is the layout for the chaos and noise switch, hope it helps

Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

Esppse

abc1234

Quote from: moid on August 27, 2018, 05:27:39 PM
Edit: You are in luck! It looks like I drew a vero layout for this pedal with the idea of making a clone and modifying it (not sure if I ever did do this...) anyway, this is the layout for the chaos and noise switch, hope it helps

Is your layout is verified?

I ask because the "chaos" switch is presumably supposed to disconnect the 2M2 between Q1's collector and base, but looks like it's still connected by the first link.

And what's the function of the blue lead between the two switches?

moid

Depends on what you mean by verified :) It was one of the first pedals I built and it works??? It is an extremely evil oscillating fuzz that is mostly only usable on one setting (I suspect that is the soda meiser on it's own). The chaos and noise switches both add constantly oscillating squeals and grumbles as soon as you stop playing... it's possible that I built it with mistakes... it's also possible that knowing Devi Ever there are multiple versions of the layout of this circuit. I had a hunt through some old paperwork and found the guide that came with the kit (See below) in case that helps you. I don't know why the two switches are connected; but they are in the diagram.

If you have a different vero layout I'd be interested in seeing it; I've often wondered if the pedal is meant to be this severe!
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

quex23

Quote from: moid on August 27, 2018, 05:27:39 PM
... including several mistakes on the instructions that prevented it from working

I actually just dug this exact kit out of a box I had forgotten about for years, and ended up here trying to find some clarification on the switches before I start building it. First off, thanks for the extra info. Second, can you remember what the mistakes in the instructions were? I'd love to bypass the the whole banging-my-head-against-the-wall-because-I-followed-the-directions-and-it-still-doesn't-work part.

Krystal

I think the "Noise"  and "Chaos" switches just disconnect Q1 feedback resistor and cap (one each)
This document could be helpful : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0NQoZqY6fH7gEs_E1kGzCUapxZYZmEH/view
You could also wire a "Drone" pot, like the Super Soda Meiser. It's just a 25KB pot wired as a variable resistance between the transistor emitters and ground (see schematic below).

quex23

Thanks for the extra info on the drone knob, I may try to add that!