Proper splitting and mixing for parallel distortions on the same pedal?

Started by Esppse, August 27, 2018, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danich_ivanov

Quote from: Esppse on August 29, 2018, 11:51:48 AM
OK I'll drop the transformers from it. Having 7 distortion doesn't mean they all will be on at the same time. Sometimes its 1, 3, 4. Or 2, 5. Or 4, 6, 7. I wanted any combination choice.

So it's just the buffer for the front end then. I still am confused where the phase inverter would go, whether in front or after distortion.

https://www.parasitstudio.se/stripboard-layouts/simple-buffer-and-phase-inverter

On the info page:
"I didn't include polarity protection, DC filtering and an output capacitor since this is meant to be used together with another effect (not stand alone)."

Is the DC filtering important if I'm throwing the inverters in?

Transofmers are definitely too much. It make sence to have buffers after distortions, since that way they will provide more consistent mixing. And having buffers in the beginning is really not that necessary at all, basic phase splitter with a switch is all you need.

Addon: do you consider using transistors as a phase splitters, or you particularly shooting for opamps? I'm asking because transistor version can be much more simple than the one with 2 opamps with virtually no difference in performance.

Esppse

Quote from: Danich_ivanov on August 29, 2018, 01:45:51 PM
OK I'll drop the transformers from it. Having 7 distortion doesn't mean they all will be on at the same time. Sometimes its 1, 3, 4. Or 2, 5. Or 4, 6, 7. I wanted any combination choice.

So it's just the buffer for the front end then. I still am confused where the phase inverter would go, whether in front or after distortion.

https://www.parasitstudio.se/stripboard-layouts/simple-buffer-and-phase-inverter

On the info page:
"I didn't include polarity protection, DC filtering and an output capacitor since this is meant to be used together with another effect (not stand alone)."

Transofmers are definitely too much. It make sence to have buffers after distortions, since that way they will provide more consistent mixing. And having buffers in the beginning is really not that necessary at all, basic phase splitter with a switch is all you need.

Addon: do you consider using transistors as a phase splitters, or you particularly shooting for opamps? I'm asking because transistor version can be much more simple than the one with 2 opamps with virtually no difference in performance.

Ah, I'm considering anything that'll make it work. I'm not familiar with a phase splitter. Can you enlighten me on how I can incorporate one into the beginning of this signal path?

marcelomd

Quote from: Esppse on August 29, 2018, 04:53:47 PM
Ah, I'm considering anything that'll make it work. I'm not familiar with a phase splitter. Can you enlighten me on how I can incorporate one into the beginning of this signal path?

This is the simplest phase splitter I know (actual values may change if you use BJT, FET or MOSFET transistors). Just a simple unity gain transistor stage. Notice the outputs' phase in relation to the input:

thermionix

Danich_ivanov

On the info page:

Alright.

Here they are.

One uses jfet, the other one bjt, which ever suits you. Both at their very basic. I would recommend going with jfet if you can find 7 jfets. Hopefully it's all easy enough to understand.

Mark Hammer

The phase inversion is not necessarily a requirement.  First, find out if any of the distortions themselves invert the signal.  If none do, or they all do, then no phase-compensation is needed.  Certainly phase-flipping can be an interesting addendum to what you're making, but it isn't necessarily necessary.  Start simple, see how you like things, and proceed from there.

Esppse

Quote from: Danich_ivanov on August 29, 2018, 05:45:39 PM

On the info page:

Alright.

Here they are.

One uses jfet, the other one bjt, which ever suits you. Both at their very basic. I would recommend going with jfet if you can find 7 jfets. Hopefully it's all easy enough to understand.

Hey Danich,

Thank you very much for posting the schematic. I just got a chance to do a vero layout for the JFET version. I had room to put 8 in to fill the space and make it square. What do you think?

moid

Hello Esppse

You might be able to check if any of your distortions will definitely cause you problems with phase by counting how many transistors they have in each circuit. If they all have an even number of transistors (2, 4, 6 etc) then they should be all in phase with each other and then you (hopefully) won't need to deal with any phase issues because they will blend happily. If some of the distortions have odd numbers of transistors (1,3,5 etc) then you will get phase cancelling issues if they blend with a distortion with an even number of transistors. So check your layouts; you might be lucky :)

Of course there might be other factors that could create phase issues (my knowledge is limited in electrical theory to say the least) so pay more attention to what the more experienced members here are advising you.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

Esppse

Quote from: moid on August 30, 2018, 07:32:38 PM
Hello Esppse

You might be able to check if any of your distortions will definitely cause you problems with phase by counting how many transistors they have in each circuit. If they all have an even number of transistors (2, 4, 6 etc) then they should be all in phase with each other and then you (hopefully) won't need to deal with any phase issues because they will blend happily. If some of the distortions have odd numbers of transistors (1,3,5 etc) then you will get phase cancelling issues if they blend with a distortion with an even number of transistors. So check your layouts; you might be lucky :)

Of course there might be other factors that could create phase issues (my knowledge is limited in electrical theory to say the least) so pay more attention to what the more experienced members here are advising you.

Oh wow very interesting, thanks for that bit if insight!