A possible tone control

Started by Josh?, August 27, 2018, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh?

Hey everyone,
I had an idea to remove the high pass section from a big muff tone control, like so:

Would this work as a blend between a dry signal and a low passed signal? Does anyone know of a tone control that does a similar type of blend better?

GibsonGM

Try it.  It should pass whatever the "incoming" signal is on one end and mix to the LP, yes.   For passive, that is about how it goes...you could get really sharp response if you used active filters, but that may not be necessary for what you're trying to do (?)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

phaeton

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 27, 2018, 06:08:38 PM
Try it.

This is my favorite answer and it should be yours too. 

At least, that is the part that I get the most fun out of all this stompboxery stuff.  It's the "What if I do this?" and see what happens part.  :-)
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Mark Hammer

The tone control in a Foxx Tone Machine isn't far off from that.  There is a cap, yes, but if one has ever used one, you'll know that "full treble" is really full bandwidth with just a smidgen of bass removed.

I have also used a fixed version for my Aefea drive, using a fixed resistor in parallel with the low-pass filter to combine some full-bandwidth along with the lowpass signal.  https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107216.0

So the long and the short of it is that your idea will work.

Josh?

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can test it out soon. My current plan is to place is after something similar to Tim Escobedo's lofomofo, to hopefully tame a bit of the high end, but still keep it all there when I want it. I'll let you know how it works. ;D

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 27, 2018, 06:08:38 PM
...if you used active filters...

Oooh I'm totally gonna try something like this in an autowah now. Thanks!

GGBB

That is essentially what the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe uses (confirmed by John Lyons on the other forum):

• SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

If you try this out, you probably want to put an arbitrarily large cap before it (say 1uF, 10uF...), so DC used to run the opamp (or whatever) doesn't get into your tone control.

Of course you have to play with the LP values...as it sits now, it will be pretty dark, but seems to offer a pretty wide range with 100k vol pot.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Danich_ivanov

Totally. Or you could try rat's filter control, which is basically a variable lp filter.

Mark Hammer

Making the lowpass corner frequency variable, provides a LOT of tonal flexibility.

The OP drawing shows a fixed resistor on one side of the cap and a pot on the other side.  What I did with the Aefea was replace that fixed resistor with a smaller-value fixed resistor in series with a pot.  The wiper of that pot goes to the cap-to-ground, which now allows you to vary where the rolloff occurs.  When combined with the full-to-mostly-low pot the OP drawing shows, there is a a very broad range of adjustments there.  A number of people have tried out the Aefea at my place, and noted how much tonal flexibility it has for the small number of controls (one pot and one toggle).  TWO pots would let you get a lot of different tones.