Eagle DPDT question

Started by italianguy63, August 30, 2018, 05:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

Doing a PCB in Eagle.  It uses a PCB mount 2PDT (pin) stomp switch.

Apparently, the footprints in the Mad Bean and GM libraries are for lug style.

Can someone tell me where I may find the one I need?

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

diffeq

Can you measure in Eagle the distance between pins in said footprint?
The only PCB-mount DPDT stompswitch I could find is this one: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/dpdt-compact-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-latching-pcb.html *
and the datasheet say that distance between pole pins is 7.1mm. No info on distance between two poles though, so be careful.

* - I suppose Tayda sources them from Daier https://www.chinadaier.com/category/push-button-switch/foot-switch/

italianguy63

Quote from: diffeq on August 30, 2018, 05:56:17 AM
Can you measure in Eagle the distance between pins in said footprint?
The only PCB-mount DPDT stompswitch I could find is this one: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/dpdt-compact-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-latching-pcb.html *
and the datasheet say that distance between pole pins is 7.1mm. No info on distance between two poles though, so be careful.

* - I suppose Tayda sources them from Daier https://www.chinadaier.com/category/push-button-switch/foot-switch/

Thanks for that... I was hoping I don't have to re-invent it, and somebody already has one in a library.....

:icon_confused:
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

diffeq

Oh. I've misunderstood. Sorry! :icon_rolleyes:

mth5044

Do you have the latest Madbean library? I know for certain the SPDT has a pin footprint and could have sworn the DPDT was there too.

You can also check the regular eagle library as well as it's not totally without use.

Last, it's quite easy to change the pad size of a component and you used to be able to do it on the board screen without having to edit a library. Not sure if they changed that or what version you're running.

italianguy63

I don't know if I have the latest library... probably not.

Yeah, I can change the size of the drill and pad.. unfortunately, it appears the connections (centers) on the PCB style are a tad bit narrower than the blade style...

italianguy63

I did get the newest library.. and it had other options in it.. but still not one that matches the switch I have.  I think I will have to just tweak the existing one... Make the vias smaller, and nudge them closer together...

But, another Eagle question... I know I saw it answered once.. but don't remember where.  But, in our typical pedals, what is the thinest trace thickness we can safely use?  Sometimes when I am routing, things get tight....

MC

bean

6 mil is usually the thinnest trace you can use but it will depend on the manufacturer. I generally use 10 mil for audio and 24 mil for power. But, on occasion 6 mil. One thing I will add the the next library revision is options for smaller pads on components. Especially ICs. It can be really helpful to run traces between IC pads sometimes and the current library doesn't allow that except for a couple electrolytic caps.

bean

BTW, if you have the specs on the DPDT you are using I can add it to the library in like a couple of minutes, probably.

italianguy63

Quote from: bean on August 30, 2018, 03:33:23 PM
BTW, if you have the specs on the DPDT you are using I can add it to the library in like a couple of minutes, probably.

Let me prototype these boards to make sure I got it right.  I had to eyeball it with a micrometer.

I'm pretty sure it is good.  Once I am sure I can send you the file.

6mil = .1524mm   So, when you use the Eagle "width" pulldown on trace properties.. that would be the selection if one existed?  The smallest listed (other than zero) is .254.  Is this the correct assumption?  Or, is the pulldown in inches?  It doesn't say!

MC

imJonWain

You can click in that drop down box, highlight the text, delete it, and then type whatever number you want.

Your units are controlled by the grid units set in the upper left of the screen.  You can type in any width you want and in any units along as you include the units.  So with the grid of say inches or mils you can type in the width in mm and it will automatically convert it to the units your grid is set to.  I usually leave my grid in mm for my own sanity and then spec traces in mils.

It's ancient but this is a great Eagle resource...
http://web.mit.edu/xavid/arch/i386_rhel4/help/index.htm
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

trixdropd

I'd be happy to share mine if you want.