DS-1 Clone Op Amp Woes

Started by bloxstompboxes, August 30, 2018, 01:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

I bought a broken DS-1 a couple of years ago with intentions of modding it. I did so without bothering to see what was wrong with it. A bad idea, I know. Anyway, it sounded horrible afterward, like something was misbiased. My best description is a brittle farting sound. I had assumed it was the original issue and not anything I had done. I took many measurements and replaced the usual suspects, only to get nowhere until I built my own clone a couple of weeks ago with my own PCB I drew up. I then encountered the same issue with the farty sound. This only occurred at less than half the distortion and below. Otherwise, it was normal. As part of my mods on the original, I had replaced the op-amp with a sip-8 4558, having heard it was better than the original op-amp used since the design change on the DS-1 some years ago. My clone had a dip-8. I tried a TL072, even though I heard it was terrible in this pedal, only to find out that the issue was now solved.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this with the 4558 in a DS-1 clone?

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

anotherjim

There is nothing in the ds-1 circuit that should bother any op-amps. There are a few components in the original to suit the original SIP M5223 op-amp, which shouldn't bother a different amp. Those are R39, R40 and D8.
What is the circuit of the original you modded and the clone?
Did you check voltages with the 4558 in - is the bias ok? Could your 4558 be bad or fake?

bloxstompboxes

Thanks Jim for the reply.

It's the standard current circuit minus the buffers. Actually, I have added some mods from Keeley and the like. The schematic is from a document that has multiple layouts and versions, i.e. with and without buffers, original and new circuits, etc. I'll find it at home and post it later. My opamps came from tayda, if I remember correctly. It would be the first parts from them I had issues with if that is the case. I have ordered multiple types of sip8 style chips from mouser to test. They are all NJM and odd ones to our hobby at that, except for one that appears to be a sip8 tl072 style chip. I'll let everyone know how that works out.