Electrolytic Cap Size

Started by Elijah-Baley, August 31, 2018, 09:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Hey guys. I have a stupid question.
I bought from some electrolytic caps from a shop, and I didn't expect it, but some of those are smaller than the ones I usually use.

The left one is a 2.2uF 100V, a very common size I'd say, the smallest on the right is 1uF 50V. I have a 6.8uF sized like that, and two 4.7uF 35V even shorter!

I saw, in my Boss MT-2, some caps sized like that, but I never had them. Could I get some problem or a different performance from them? Or I should don't care it?

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

italianguy63

Don't care!

Just pay attention to the rating.  Or, try to match the "footprint" to the PCB you are using.  (leg spacing/height).

I am considering buying a bunch of low-profile electro's for 1590A builds.. but it does not really seem necessary.  Sometimes my OCD gets in the way.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Actually, maybe more importantly....

About 2 years ago... I started paying attention to what the caps are doing.  If they are filter caps, I use cheap ones.  If they are in an audio circuit, I stared using low tolerance "audio" grade ones.. Maybe it is just "cork sniffing?"  But, I figured at a buck or two a build it really doesn't matter.. It makes for a better product, and a marketing bullet.

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

E-B - some manufacturors produce a "sub-minature" range of electros, for tight fits. I don't think they have any performance difference (you could check the panasonic, jamicon, elna spec sheets), but to put your mind at ease, send me all those little caps that bother you, and I'll "see" to them.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Elijah-Baley

Duck_arse! Are you try to screw me? :o

;D ;D ;D

I already heard  about the cheap cap to "filtering". In this case I was using one from Tayda, I guess.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

GibsonGM

The best way to improve 'cap performance', if you are dealing with a low capacitance such as 2.2u....would be to use poly types in parallel to make up that value, or just decrease the capacitance (maybe to .68u) and use poly.   In audio areas only, of course, where the only result might be loss of some bass.  You might like it!!  :)   

Think, cathode bypass caps, input caps, etc.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Rob Strand

QuoteE-B - some manufacturors produce a "sub-minature" range of electros, for tight fits. I don't think they have any performance difference (you could check the panasonic, jamicon, elna spec sheets), but to put your mind at ease, send me all those little caps that bother you, and I'll "see" to them.
There's a loose correlation that smaller sized caps tend to have higher ESR.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.