Boss DS-1 Synth Mod - Possible with a rotary switch?

Started by kissack101, September 02, 2018, 08:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kissack101

Hi Everyone,

Couple of quick points up front:

• I'm modding my first pedal in about 10 years and logging into the DIYSB forum for the first time in about 6 years - apologies in advance for the low level of background knowledge :)
  • I'm not sure if this post should be here or in the Digital & DSP section - let me know if I should move it.
I want to mod a DS-1 with the circuit-bending switches of the JHS Synth mod - I don't have the means to drill holes in the enclosure so I'm trying to figure out if I can install a rotary switch in place of the tone control (my intention is to remove the tone pot and bypass the tone section completely as I've never really loved it in the DS-1).

As I don't want to re-house the pedal, I need a solution that will fit in a standard Boss enclosure. I've found a 1P6T switch that "could" provide the 6 options of the 3x SPDT switches in the diagram below - my "best guess" is that I'll need some kind of chip-based switch to do the rest but this is where my knowledge of what to do next drops off a cliff.

My question:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution that will allow me to select each of the 6 options with a single rotary control (small enough to fit in a Boss DS-1 enclosure)?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

The layout of the jumper cables that I'm going to use:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=106243.0

The 9mm rotary switch I've found:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-1P6T-9mm-Rotary-Switch.html

P.S. Bonus question:

Are there any other "extreme" DS-1 mods (i.e. more than just replacing the clipping diodes with LEDs) that I might have missed in the last 6 years that people would recommend I take a look at? :)

ElectricDruid

Don't three switches provide eight options not six? After all, each one can be on or off, right? Or are some combinations not allowed or no good?

Once you've got around that, you'd need something that gets you from 1-to-8 switch to 3 x On/Off. The simplest way I can see to do that is to use something like the 4016/4066 CMOS switch and then use the 1-to-8 via some diodes to power up individual switches in whatever combinations you require. This would work with the 1-to-6 switch too, as long as you're willing to sacrifice whatever the two most-hopeless combinations of switches are!

HTH,
Tom

BetterOffShred

There is a sub mini 8 position rotary switch.  Mouser sells them and so does digikey. Mine was given to me by a fellow modder so I forget the part number.   

Seen there on the stripboard for the holy grail mod. 

brokenstarguitar

Ive spent quite a while messing with the DS-1 theres ALOT of weird, extreme sounds in there. I started by taking a piece of wire and bridging 2 different solder joints. I circled a few (just a few) to start out with. Put one end of the wire on one of those points and start touching.

Also, id strongly advise against getting rid of the tone knob. And keep in mind that when you start "playing" make sure to turn the Distortion control, its the key pot.  :icon_lol:

BetterOffShred

I got a 40th anniversary model just to mod.. any suggestions on dip 8 ICs? I picked up a converter board

anotherjim

To fully use an 8way switch, which only has one pole -  and I don't know if those little ones come with a limit stop thing that lets you fix it to fewer than 8 steps... ...anyways, only one pole so you can only switch different things in one circuit.

Essentially, the clipping is a simple network with only one connection to the output and one to 0v. Many mods leave one original clipping diode in place and switch different ones for the other, but you could have extra variety by switching between complete pairs. They would all have a common connection to 0v and the switch is used to decide which connects to the amp output. You've got 8 variations to find, and you can add tonal choice too by having capacitors across the diode "pairs" to kill high-end fizz.

Danich_ivanov

Something i did back in a day, that may be not the most elegant solution is to hide a switch inside the battery compartment.