2sk246 for Aion Prism FA-1

Started by cnspedalbuilder, September 03, 2018, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnspedalbuilder

Hello, I'm building the FA-1 FET preamp and have it all set except that I do not have the 2sk246. Can I substitute a J201 in that circuit without any other mods?

I tested it w/the J201 and it didn't work but I made some compromises for testing before boxing it up--soldered the pots weakly (for testing before boxing) and I connected lugs for an external switch w/jumpers instead of installing switch. So if you think it'll work w/J201 I'll try again.

If not, would anyone have one to buy? I know you can get it online, but I'm $6.50 with shipping is a bit much for one transistor.

Thanks!

PRR

That plan is not fussy. Nearly any JFET will work.
  • SUPPORTER

smallbearelec

Quote from: cnspedalbuilder on September 03, 2018, 02:20:09 PM
Hello, I'm building the FA-1 FET preamp and have it all set except that I do not have the 2sk246. Can I substitute a J201 in that circuit without any other mods?

When you tried the J201, did you account for the different pinout? If not, see the drawings in Figure 17 of this article:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardICDist/ICDist.htm

You can either bend leads of a J201 to put the gate in the center, or find locally a common JFET that has that pinout. The 2N3819 is a possibility.

cnspedalbuilder

Yes, I did. I am about 97% sure that my J201s are fake, normal NPNs. I don't know where I got them, but I ended up ordering the 2sk and it worked perfectly.