Using a switched mono jack socket for turning battery on/off

Started by painltd, September 03, 2018, 04:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painltd

Hey guys,

I have been searching the forum but couldnĀ“t find anything that responds this question, my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I have one of these and wondering if there is some way (wiring or circuit) I can use it as the input or output socket for a regular pedal to turn the battery on and off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

R.G.

I'll have to think about it. Maybe.

What I have in mind is an adaptation of the Millenium Bypass that senses whether the input is pulled solidly to ground by a metal switch contact, or limply by a high resistance.

This may take some thought.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

diffeq

First idea is this:

When plug is not inserted, "jack prong" is shorted to the tip of the jack (circuit output), and assuming there is a pull-down resistor after coupling cap, the gate of Q2 goes low. When plug is inserted, prong floats and gate is charged by diode leakage currents, pulling the gate of Q2 up, which pulls the gate of Q1 down, powering the circuit.
Does it look feasible or am I missing something?

BetterOffShred

Use needle nose pliers, bend the switch tab into a U so it'll touch the ring of a plug inserted.. wire that to circuit ground and then the ring of the socket itself to power supply.. and boom, circuit only powered with plug in the jack..

I know it's ghetto but I got like 20 of those jacks for 2$ or something when I first started.. and they are still working with the described modification.  Like I said it's not pretty but it works fine for home builds..  :icon_redface:

3015gaurav

I want to power on the stomp box only when I/p jack is inserted. And the stomp box is only powered by Dc adapter. Currently there is no stock available for mono switched I/p jacks on tayda.
so, is it possible to use stereo i/p unswitched jack as an mono switched jack?
(tip=signal, Rig=switch/GND, Sleeve=switch/GND)

Feel free to ask anything. I might have missed something imp to tell.
p.s:- This is my first ever DIY pedal and I'm currently ordering the required parts.

Cheers.

anotherjim

If you use a stereo input jack - it doesn't need a switch contact. Wire the DC jack negative (centre) to the jacks middle ring contact. Connect the circuit board 0v to the jack sleeve contact. When you put a mono plug in, the ring is shorted to the sleeve and connects the power.