Muff clone building problem

Started by vinceg, September 08, 2018, 02:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Hi guy,

I built today this Muff Ram's head clone. I have no output signal, so I used audio probe and I found that there is signal in C13 leg connected with T4 collector, but there is not signal in C13 leg connected with leg 3 of volume pot. Also, I controlled if there is connection between C13 and volume pot and it is right. Is C13 failure or other?

Slowpoke101

Look for possible short circuits (slivers of solder, copper or stray strands of wire) first. If none are found disconnect the wire going to leg 3 of the volume pot and then, using your audio probe, see if the signal is now available at that end of the wire. If the signal is now available C13 is most likely OK and you have a fault with the volume pot - short circuit to ground (rare).
If the problem is still there please upload some pictures so that we can have a look.
  • SUPPORTER

patrick398

C13 is a polarized cap, is it definitely the right way round? Positive side to T4

vinceg

Quote from: patrick398 on September 08, 2018, 03:18:51 PM
C13 is a polarized cap, is it definitely the right way round? Positive side to T4

Film capacitor polarized? I do not know this. This is capacitor, how can I know polarity?

https://www.musikding.de/MKT-047uF_1

Slowpoke101

On the circuit diagram C13 is represented by a capacitor symbol that shows polarity. This is nothing to worry about in this instance. The circuit diagram is only a guide (in this case).
A film capacitor is not normally considered to be polarised.

Having found the documentation for this effects pedal, please ignore my suggestion of de-soldering the wire going to terminal 3 of the volume pot. Board mounted pots are not easy to de-solder. Make sure that the pots are not shorting to anything on the board.
  • SUPPORTER

patrick398

You should be fine if your using a non polarized one. The schematic symbol does suggest a polarized cap though. One black line, one white; white is positive.
Two black lines indicates non-polarized.

http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/ac_theory/images/capacitor-symbols.gif

vinceg

You will not believe it, I soldered the output wire on the ground solder lug of the output jack...  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

patrick398

I very much believe it, it's a classic face palm moment.  :icon_lol: So all working and correct now i assume?

vinceg

It seems so. I'm waiting for the enclosure and assemble it.