What pot to use on my bass guitar with an onboard compressor module?

Started by curtisrawls1, September 09, 2018, 10:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisrawls1

What pot to use on my bass guitar with an onboard compressor module?

« on: Yesterday at 01:51:17 PM »

QuoteModify

I installed an on-board compressor module on my bass guitar. It is the creamy compressor circuit by Lee Jackson. My bass guitar has passive humbucking pickups but an active EQ circuit. I'm currently using 250k push/pull pot with a dpdt switch to run this compressor module. I also have it wired for true bypass. I'm not sure whether I should be using a 250k, a 500k, or a 25k pot since I'm using passive humbucking pickups but an active EQ circuit. The compressor module is connected after the active EQ circuit. Prior to using the 250k pot, I was using a 50k pot but I couldn't hear any of the effect when engaged. With the 250k pot I can hear the effect somewhat but it's still not as pronounced as I think it should be. Any thoughts?

thermionix

PRR

Contact the company (form on their website).

Their description does not give enough information to begin to guess. They probably know just what you need.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

The fitting instruction says it should be a 250k pot, linear or log.
With a couple of jacks and a 9v battery, you should be able to test run it on the bench like it was a stomp pedal. If the onboard gain trimmer doesn't boost above unity when you turn that up, it suggests it isn't operating at all.

curtisrawls1

Thanks for all of your replies. I got it working the way I want it to work. I performed some testing of the circuit using various pot values with the pickups and electronics in my instrument. All said and done, the 250k pot that I have in it works fine. It didn't seem to work well when I first installed it but perhaps I didn't do something correct initially. It's working fine now.