Diy preamp eq/tonestack placement

Started by iainpunk, September 10, 2018, 01:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

Hey, everyone

Im planning on building a preamp to go with my DIY solid state power amp and was wondering how to go about the eq section.

I was thinking about putting the bass control before the distortion section, to go from fuzz to tight. The thing is the mid and trebble controls. I want them to go post distortion, but am not yet shure about how id implement it. Maybe a marshall tone stack but with a fixed bass resistor, or seperate mid and trebble controls. And when i go for the second option, how do i make a passive mid-cut control...

Thanks in advance, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

vigilante397

Quote from: iainpunk on September 10, 2018, 01:01:47 PM
I was thinking about putting the bass control before the distortion section, to go from fuzz to tight. The thing is the mid and treble controls. I want them to go post distortion, but am not yet sure about how id implement it

There are tons of different ways to do these, and there is plenty of math and simulations that can be done with lovely bode plots and the like, but I will always say trust your ears. Breadboard breadboard breadboard ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Danich_ivanov

One of the options could be Bandaxall (or james, if you want passive) after the preamp, it will cover the mids also, and third control before the whole thing to alter fuzz/tight characteristic. Only 3 controls for everything, and you will also get a proper bass control after the preamp.

iainpunk

Yeah, the james tonestack came up also. im in a WhatsApp group chat with some friends and after some discussion, we came to the conclusion to put a passive bass cut before the distortion, the same type as the bass side of the 'pbt' tone control from G&L guitars. And after the distortion section a marshall style pr james style tonestack, so i can boost the bass after the distortion if i cut it before, or when using a bass.

I'm still open to suggestions tho, because im not shure yet.

On a different note, should i use symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping? Does it really make a difference? It doesn't matter to my ears ti be honest, i dont hear any significant difference other than volume.

Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

PRR

Experimentation is a good teacher. Build it up, but not locked in stone, so you can change things around and try many possibilities.
  • SUPPORTER