[Aion "Aurora" Ross Comp] which polarity for C6?

Started by AdamFenwickSymes, September 11, 2018, 05:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamFenwickSymes

DISREGARD, I'M DUMB

Hi all, dumb newbie here

I'm building an Aion Electronics "Aurora" Ross Compressor and it asks for a 2.2n film cap for C6. (Schematic is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hd9ujnxndb9fe5/aurora_documentation.pdf?dl=1)

I only have tantalum 2.2n caps, don't have any 2.2n film caps. I was going to use a tantalum, but I'm not sure which way to put it. One side of the cap goes to ground via R6, so that's probably the negative side. But the other side doesn't seem to be positive, in fact it's also connected to ground (via a C5 and R5). I guess going through a capacitor doesn't count as going to ground? I don't really know how capacitors work except they "block DC, pass AC."

Just hoping someone could confirm which way is negative, so that I don't spend ages desoldering stuff and pulling my hair out.

While you're here - Aion's schematics often specify which caps to use, for example this compressor asks for 1n film and 1n electrolytics in different places (I used film and tantalums ...). I thought that a capacitor was pretty much a capacitor. Is there a reason he's asking for specific types? Is it okay if I just use whatever?

Many thanks!

Fender3D

Welcome in the stompbox house!!

I don't think you found 2n2 tantalum caps, sure it is not 2u2 (2,2uF), 'cause, if this is the case, they're 1000 times greater...
Anyway, you got DC only on the right pin, the one connected to R7 and R6, then any positive pin should go there.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

AdamFenwickSymes

Oh dear, I'm an absolute idiot... It wants a 2n2 cap, I have 2u2 tantalums. Apparently u and n look very similar to me, a form of upside down dyslexia?

Well posting here solved my problem, just not the way I thought. Much appreciated!

Fender3D

BTW
the pedal will work even without C6, if you wanna test it.
That cap is part of the input filter toghether with "input" potentiometer.
Simply you won't get more and more treble while setting "input" control
Aurora was modeled after the Ibanez compressor or the Dyna Comp and those parts were not present in the stock pedals
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge