Noisey A/B Switch

Started by eskimoquinn, September 12, 2018, 02:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eskimoquinn

I just wired up an A/B Switch to switch between two guitars according to the diagram below. However, when the power is plugged in, it is extremely noisey. It is almost dead silent when no power. It looks like I have good working connections as evidenced by a good signal when no power, but the DC is somehow leaking into the audio path. Any thought on what might be causing this:

vigilante397

Can we see pictures of your build please? ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

eskimoquinn

PRR

> when the power is plugged in, it is extremely noisey.

Hiss? Or buzz?

If buzz: quality pedal power supply? Or some old wart from the junk drawer?
  • SUPPORTER

eskimoquinn

Definitely a not a hiss. I am using a voodoo labs power supply which causes no issues with other pedals.

BetterOffShred

Make sure the grounds are all good, double check all your wiring, and then make sure it isn't the switch.   There's not really a whole lot to go wrong in this build.

stallik

Quick look but the led ground appears to be running to the jack ground. Try running it to the 9v negative instead
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

eskimoquinn

Not sure I follow. 9v negative? 9v battery? No battery in this one.

vigilante397

He's talking about the negative terminal of the power jack. There's no reason to connect power ground and audio ground in a completely passive box.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

eskimoquinn

I see, so complete n00b question, the negative of the jack should go to where? in other words, how would the schematic I posted changed if I followed this suggestion?

BetterOffShred

It only has power to illuminate the switching LEDs ..  the actual jack switching just has grounds straight across from the ring lugs on the jacks there.   

ayayay!

I love and miss Dano but he got it wrong on that one.  Replicate this on the LED wiring x2 to make it work correctly, with the other LED going to the spare lug.  :)

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

stallik

Thats it Jono, and as it's an A/B, another LED can be attached to the same + but run to the other side of the switch.
Resistors can be adjusted to make both burn at the same visual brightness
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein