Surf Green Acrylic Spray Paint? (UK)

Started by steveyraff, September 13, 2018, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

When it comes to painting my pedals, I stick to what I know works, and is easy to source for me. That turns out to be Halford's Acrylic spray paints, aimed at the car body repair market. My method is to sand and buff my Hammond enclosures, then drill, then apply Halford's Acrylic primer spray, then the Acrylic gloss or matt coat. Then when its dried I apply graphics/text with Water Slide Decal Paper, and over the top of that its Halford's clear coat lacquer.

Well, recently someone asked me to build them a "Surf Green" pedal. Halford's don't stock a colour like that, so I have to venture out to brands unknown. I presume that any "Acrylic" spray paint will be the same - I just fear change lol.

Anyone got any recommendations? I hit Google already, I just wondered if anyone had a tried and trusted brand for this colour using similar finishing methods to myself. Preferably UK/Ireland companies to save shipping.

Thanks!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

tonyharker

Its an old? 50s/60s colour Fender painted a Strat.  For supply see here https://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/surf-green-white-nitrocellulose-paint.html
Dont know if Nitro will go on a pedal though. You may be able to get a similar colour paint if you had a sample, but dont know where you'd get one.

steveyraff

Quote from: tonyharker on September 13, 2018, 02:30:53 PM
Its an old? 50s/60s colour Fender painted a Strat.  For supply see here https://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/surf-green-white-nitrocellulose-paint.html
Dont know if Nitro will go on a pedal though. You may be able to get a similar colour paint if you had a sample, but dont know where you'd get one.

Just a similar shade for a pedal. I'm sure it will have a different name.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

slashandburn

Do you have a Hobbycraft branch nearby? I was in my local earlier today, they had a pretty massive selection of acrylic spray paints. There was one range that had loads of cool Greens (I forget the brand, it's in gold cans with no lid) which id have bought if wasn't for it being Matt finish.

Only catch is they don't list any Spray Cans on their website. Seems to be an in-store only kinda thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if their stock varied from branch to branch.

steveyraff

Quote from: slashandburn on September 13, 2018, 03:37:09 PM
Do you have a Hobbycraft branch nearby? I was in my local earlier today, they had a pretty massive selection of acrylic spray paints. There was one range that had loads of cool Greens (I forget the brand, it's in gold cans with no lid) which id have bought if wasn't for it being Matt finish.

Only catch is they don't list any Spray Cans on their website. Seems to be an in-store only kinda thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if their stock varied from branch to branch.

Sounds great. I'm in Northern Ireland and apparently the nearest one to me is Carlisle which Google tells me is just 270miles away with a short 7hr car ride and a hop on the ferry lol

Thanks anyway though!  :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

ElectricDruid

Is it this sort of green colour? This was a Halfords green:

steveyraff

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

ElectricDruid

Ok, that's a bit more "minty" than the Halfords one I posted. However, the actual unit is closer than the photo makes it look. Also the metallic paint gives it a certain sixties vibe. Might be close enough if Halford is your preferred paint supplier?!

steveyraff

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 13, 2018, 04:39:28 PM
Ok, that's a bit more "minty" than the Halfords one I posted. However, the actual unit is closer than the photo makes it look. Also the metallic paint gives it a certain sixties vibe. Might be close enough if Halford is your preferred paint supplier?!

Thanks. I'll run it past the dude who was enquiring.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

PMowdes

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

PRR

If he means Fender Surf Green, you want paint for a 1959 Cadillac.

Which will be something noxious, not acrylic. There should be a similar shade in Acrylic but who knows what it is called?
  • SUPPORTER

davent

Could you take your colour sample to a seller of house paint and have them mix up a match using house paint in a sample sized quantity?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

ElectricDruid

Turns out I was misremembering. The one I've got is Rustoleum Metallic Green. I did a search for "surf green Strat" and got a lot of images, and I don't think it's that close after all. The surf green is more pastel and more minty.

Good luck!

anotherjim

Eau de nil?
Malechickenpit Green?
Duck egg green?
Duck egg blue?
Try scale model paints, since what the RAF called "sky" in the 40's could actually look more green than blue. But it's one of those shades that looks different in matt, satin or gloss finish.

thermionix

Acrylic enamel, or acrylic lacquer?  Cuz there's both.  Model paint (ie Testers) is a good suggestion, hobby shop, should be acrylic enamel I think.  "House paint"...if you're talking about Latex paint, won't be durable.  Many "house paint" shops can also mix up other finish types.  I have a gallon here of Sherwin Williams lacquer, matched to Gibson's TV Yellow.

Rob Strand

Some coarse zones:

Finer:

Notice how you can't trust these images.  eg. compare aquamarine.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

BluffChill

You could try your local branch of Wilko - I get a lot of paints from there. They do their own line of paints but also stock Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Craft Enamel, which for my money is the best spray paint you can get without spending loads of money - their clear coat acrylic is great too, I always get a good finish in just 2 coats with that. Also, because Wilko are aimed at the home improvement/crafts demographic, they tend to have mostly soft colours, like ivory and duck egg blue and that sort of wishy-washy stuff - you might find a decent sea foam green in there.

In fact, here's some on amazon!!

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Corporation-Painters-267116-12-Ounce/dp/B00BOUH67K
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

Jay

Lew-Dawg

Morning,

Historical fine scale models were my first love. Goto a hobby shop, there are plenty in the UK, you can get a pot of high quality acrylic, enamel and even oil pant for 2-3$, probably even cheaper in the UK. And if thinned properly you could paint 1/3 of a full car with a single pot.

I airbrush all of my custom pedals with hobby grade paints, they are truly the best. Tamiya would be my first suggestion for more exotic colors.

Lewis