Panasonic SMF? Which series?

Started by Lew-Dawg, September 18, 2018, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew-Dawg

Gents,

Most if not all of the forums I've read have suggested panasonic ECQ V-1 SMF caps, but they have all been from 10 year old discussions! Mouser states that the ECQ-V1-J474JM3 is obsolete now. What would be the current line of ECQ caps?

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-E2474RJB?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF0%252bjlB8SXIRuAJ28FwwA9eA%3d

Are these them? And If SO, are they an EQUIVALENT?

Lewis

EBK

I'd be most interested in knowing why that particular series of caps was recommended. 

I have had a lot of luck so far building circuits using caps generally selected as follows:
Go to Mouser.com;
Choose film capacitors*;
Select 0.2-in. lead spacing;
Select the particular capacitance value;
Sort by price; and
Order the cheapest.

If there is some potential refinement to my method that would be objectively better, I'm eager to learn.

*Assuming a film cap makes sense for the capacitance value.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Lew-Dawg

Quote from: EBK on September 18, 2018, 12:37:00 PM
I'd be most interested in knowing why that particular series of caps was recommended. 

I have had a lot of luck so far building circuits using caps generally selected as follows:
Go to Mouser.com;
Choose film capacitors*;
Select 0.2-in. lead spacing;
Select the particular capacitance value;
Sort by price; and
Order the cheapest.

If there is some potential refinement to my method that would be objectively better, I'm eager to learn.

*Assuming a film cap makes sense for the capacitance value.

You sound exactly like my mentor, love it. Thanks for the input, I will most definitely take it to bench.

Lewis

italianguy63

Quote from: Lew-Dawg on September 18, 2018, 09:32:00 AM
Gents,

Most if not all of the forums I've read have suggested panasonic ECQ V-1 SMF caps, but they have all been from 10 year old discussions! Mouser states that the ECQ-V1-J474JM3 is obsolete now. What would be the current line of ECQ caps?

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-E2474RJB?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF0%252bjlB8SXIRuAJ28FwwA9eA%3d

Lewis

I too have run into this.  I find Mouser has SOME ECQ's...

However, when I can't find them, I have found Chinese "CBB"'s to be a great and inexpensive alternative.  (search on eBay).  They even look like the ECQ's except they are a bit darker in color.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

zombiwoof

Quote from: Lew-Dawg on September 18, 2018, 09:32:00 AM
Gents,

Lewis

The ECQ series are/were metal film caps, they were liked because of their small size, especially for the higher values.  They were specified by some of the modders (like Keeley) to replace higher value electros because their compact size allowed them to fit in place of the electros, where some standard film caps would be too big.  I don't know why they discontinued them, but I think they still make some metal film caps, and there are some other brands of metal film that I have found on Mouser in the past, can't recall what they were though.
Al

Lew-Dawg

MC and Al,

Thanks for the input, I genuinely appreciate it. I will have to check the CCB's out on the bay, and Al that's some great info, makes complete sense.  I have decided to go with these:

91 cents a pop, a bit steep, but it comes down to 51 cents after you buy ten, which I always do. Statistically it's a better cap and part of the same family ECQ...

Lewis

thermionix

I use these pretty frequently, never had a problem and they sound as good as any:

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/tmc05-radial-1/

zombiwoof

Quote from: Lew-Dawg on September 19, 2018, 01:52:49 PM
MC and Al,

Thanks for the input, I genuinely appreciate it. I will have to check the CCB's out on the bay, and Al that's some great info, makes complete sense.  I have decided to go with these:

91 cents a pop, a bit steep, but it comes down to 51 cents after you buy ten, which I always do. Statistically it's a better cap and part of the same family ECQ...

Lewis

I think the reason the older ECQ series was discontinued was maybe it wasn't RoHS compliant, so they had to change them to the newer series.  I remember Keeley liked the ECQ-B 1.0uf because it was a compact cube shaped cap that could fit on a tight board to replace that value of electrolytic that were used in some pedals.  Most other film caps in that value were physically too big to fit in the space of the electro.  I looked around a little and didn't see that cube-shaped version in the newer line.  I am not sure the Topmays are metal film like the Panasonic ECQ's, metal film was supposed to be better than typical film caps.  I think CDE was another brand that makes/made metal film caps.  It's been a long time since I looked into it.
Al

italianguy63

Quote from: zombiwoof on September 20, 2018, 10:28:39 AM
Quote from: Lew-Dawg on September 19, 2018, 01:52:49 PM
MC and Al,

Lewis

I think the reason the older ECQ series was discontinued was maybe it wasn't RoHS compliant, so they had to change them to the newer series.  I remember Keeley liked the ECQ-B 1.0uf because it was a compact cube shaped cap that could fit on a tight board to replace that value of electrolytic that were used in some pedals.  Most other film caps in that value were physically too big to fit in the space of the electro.  I looked around a little and didn't see that cube-shaped version in the newer line.  I am not sure the Topmays are metal film like the Panasonic ECQ's, metal film was supposed to be better than typical film caps.  I think CDE was another brand that makes/made metal film caps.  It's been a long time since I looked into it.
Al

I think CDE and CBB's are real similar!  Both a good substitute.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

EBK

So, the preference for these mystical caps is purely based on their size?  Mouser lets you filter parts by size fairly painlessly.  Am I missing something?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

italianguy63

Quote from: EBK on September 20, 2018, 11:29:54 AM
So, the preference for these mystical caps is purely based on their size?  Mouser lets you filter parts by size fairly painlessly.  Am I missing something?

In my experience/situation.. I was trying to replicate an old build.  I could not get ECQ's in all the values I needed.  I came across the CDE/CBB's -- and they looked VERY much like the ECQ's.  Same shape and size.  The ECQ's were a little more pinkish in color and the Chinese caps were a bit more brown.  The leg spacing was identical.

MC

ElectricDruid

There's a certain amount of buying "name brand" caps prestige going on here too. The Panasonic caps are certainly well thought of, and pricey. The Wima box caps are similarly top-end name brand caps. The FKS2 and FKP2 are film/foil construction, and polyester (good) and polypropylene (better) caps but only go up to 47nF. The MKS2 and MKP2 series are metallized foil versions of the same and cover the larger values.
The MKS2 series have values up to 10uF, but I don't know how big they are.

Personally, I like the FKP2 series for synth filters and similar because they're available in very close tolerances, 5% or better (sometimes 2%, and 1% is manufactured - incredible for caps).

Anyway, if you're looking for boutique-quality caps for a build, keep an eye out for them as well as the Panasonics.

Lew-Dawg

Are these Stacked metal film caps? I want to be sure before I confirm payment. Are these the CBB's that have been recommended?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10pcs-Lot-CBB-Polypropylene-film-capacitor-10nf-22nF-47nF-100nF-220nF-1uF-etc/223085851585?var=521899506309

Much cheaper then the current ECQ line mouser is selling. They have 5% tolerance and are 63v.

Lewis