Triple Pedal Off-board Wiring Plan

Started by steveyraff, September 21, 2018, 08:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

So I've made a lot of double pedals at this stage, and I am very interested in kicking it up a notch and building a triple pedal. I am thinking Tremolo / Delay / Verb (anyone any suggestions on those, feel free to recommend layouts etc).

Anyway, I've always used this offboard wiring diagram for double pedals, 2n1 clones and the like: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T8OdqPmP_2Q/UG3WZyt28aI/AAAAAAAAC5U/lTz0RyZXAG8/s1600/!Offboard+wiring+-+dual.png

If there's a similar layout out there from wiring up 3-in-1 pedals, it'd be great.

Thanks all.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

bluebunny

I was trying to cut'n'paste a quick'n'nasty picture from IvIark's original, but given the dearth of design software on the work PC, quickly got nowhere...   :(   But basically just repeat what's already there a third time: daisy chain the power at the top to the third board, daisy chain the power to the LED on the third switch, take the output from the second switch to the third switch (currently going to the output jack) and take the output of the third one to the output jack (just as you see on the current second one).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

ElectricDruid

+1 what Bunny said.

Unless you want to be able to change the order of the pedals (which would get pretty complicated pretty fast with three pedals) then what he suggests is perfect.

steveyraff

Ok, so I guess if I am just following whats already there a third time, I should be able to use this plan which I always use, but just add a 3rd. So for example, on the footswitch on the left, I'd have a wire going from the bottom right Pole, to the middle right pole on another footswitch that will be to it's left? If that makes sense...  ???

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

JustinFun

You could share power filtering, polarity protection and regulated 5v supply too, save a few components and a bit of board space?

Max999

Since you are not using isolated power for the different effects I would not put the grounds in series like you have, but run separate wires to one central point ( star grounding technique). This will kill some ground loops.

FredG

Intersting...
But from there, how many pedal could we chain together like that ? Is there any restriction ?

My ultimate goal would be, once I find the 5 or 6 DIY pedals that I love and regulary use, I'd like to mount them together in one (long) enclosure. Would be awesome and very convenient.  :icon_cool:

ElectricDruid

I can rephrase that question to "How many pedals can you put on a pedalboard?"

Obviously, it's going to depend on what they are and how they interact and what power requirements they make and so on - all the nitty gritty. But in principle, yes, it'll work and it'll be fine. In my bitter experience, you've have one that's too hissy, one that hums, one that needs 18V, and another that requires a positive ground!! Then it won't seem such a fantastic idea to put them all in one big enclosure. But it can be done - the problems are all just dealing with the practicalities, there's nothing impossible about any of it.