Correct voltages on sockets but only without transistors inserted

Started by patrick398, September 21, 2018, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Quote from: tonight, we ride on October 02, 2018, 06:11:23 PM

I would look at your transistor sockets at this point. Without a transistor plugged in do you have continuity (remember to NEVER do a continuity/resistance test with power on the component/circuit!) between the two points that are shorting together with a transistor plugged in? Do you get the same result with the socket pulled and a transistor soldered directly to the board?

This was actually the very next thing i tested. There's continuity between all the collectors which are all at ground but no continuity between ground and base or emitter on any transistor, as expected. Also no continuity between base/emitter on any trannies or sockets, again as expected

tonight, we ride

Quote from: patrick398 on October 02, 2018, 04:54:01 AM

If i place a trannie into Q1 socket Q2's empty socket voltages remain correct, this is true for all sockets except Q4 which had an E of 8.27v before Q5 was inserted and 0.58v afterwards.

So, do all of your transistor voltages stay correct when inserted if you leave Q5 removed??

patrick398

Quote from: tonight, we ride on October 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: patrick398 on October 02, 2018, 04:54:01 AM

If i place a trannie into Q1 socket Q2's empty socket voltages remain correct, this is true for all sockets except Q4 which had an E of 8.27v before Q5 was inserted and 0.58v afterwards.

So, do all of your transistor voltages stay correct when inserted if you leave Q5 removed??

Nope with Q5 removed they all still read super low

patrick398

New set of 5089s arrived today so was able to completely rule out the transistors being the issue (though this was already pretty well established.)
I even built the circuit for the third time, no sockets, trannies straight on the board. Same problem.
With the new transistors in the board with the sockets voltages on the emitter are even lower. Around 0.01 which may as well be nothing. Around 0.58 on the bases. Again, socket voltages are fine on their own.
This is so frustrating!
Any suggestions on other tests to run?

patrick398

Both circuits are now working. Both are using 5088s not 5089s now...i guess one of the 5089s must have been faulty? Though i'm not sure why it didn't work the first time i tried using different trannies.
I considered not posting this update since it's not actually any use to anyone.
Thanks for all the suggestions, apologies i couldn't provide any useful information that someone in a similar situation might have learnt something from.