What diodes are in my black Russian Big Muff V8

Started by j_flanders, October 03, 2018, 05:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_flanders

I have two Black Russian Big Muffs.
One is from 2006, the other from 2005.
The 2006 has the typical diodes you find in Russian Big Muffs : KD521A, KD521V, KD522B:

However, the diodes in the 2005 Big Muff look completely different. I haven't been able to find any info on them and have found only one other example on the internet that contains these diodes. Picture from the internet:

So, does anybody know what they are?

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

antonis

Do you interest about their specific type (e.g. 1N4973, 1N4454, MUR110, etc ) or just about their general classification (e.g. Ge, Si, Schottky, GaAs, etc..)..??

@Marc: Never happend to see a grey-body 1N914 diode..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

italianguy63

Quote from: antonis on October 03, 2018, 05:43:05 AM
Do you interest about their specific type (e.g. 1N4973, 1N4454, MUR110, etc ) or just about their general classification (e.g. Ge, Si, Schottky, GaAs, etc..)..??

@Marc: Never happend to see a grey-body 1N914 diode..

Just repeating what the source said... I have found the Kit Rae collection really accurate.

But, yeah, me neither...

Probably something they picked up off the floor that day!

LOL

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

j_flanders

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 03, 2018, 05:36:25 AM
The Kit Rae page says 1N914.
Obvious place to look first, so I did, but it's clearly not a 1N914.

Quote from: antonis on October 03, 2018, 05:43:05 AM
I've own(ed) a dozen or so Big Muffs and this one is the best sounding, so I wanted to make a copy of it.
Once I know the exact type, I could perhaps hunt down the same diodes.

I do realise, that the mojo of this particular Big Muff could be in the transistors, caps or resistors that might, tolerance wise, be a little off spec and not in the 
diodes.

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 03, 2018, 05:49:18 AM
Just repeating what the source said... I have found the Kit Rae collection really accurate.
I don't have the same experience. I love what he did and the huge amount of work he put into it and I can't blame him for not being right all the time since EHX made so many variations, but quite often my Big Muffs did not correspond to 'the source'.
I do, kinda, blame him for the obviously wrong schematics that make no sense whatsoever (I notified him but never got a reply).  :)
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=118843.msg1107660#msg1107660

Here are some better images from my BM diodes:
Also, just checked them with the diode test on my DMM, they all read around 740mV. (nothing really unusual I guess)

italianguy63

antonis

Quote from: j_flanders on October 03, 2018, 07:14:20 AM
Also, just checked them with the diode test on my DMM, they all read around 740mV.
They seem to me like low-power, fast-recovery rectifiers.. (like BYX series or similar..)
(just a rough guess..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

italianguy63

I was out scavenging electronic surplus yesterday...  I came across some (I believe GE) NOS diodes.  Grey and correct footprint of what you were seeking.  They aren't "exact" but really really really close!  They also measure .72V FV which also jives.

They were marked 1N47.  (Datasheet says a Zener)

I picked up 2.

MC