Got a large grab bag of tubes today

Started by whomeno, October 04, 2018, 07:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

Here is a list (mirror of Frank's) with essentially every tube-type you will ever see. This can help sort-off typos. Also use the "Search" sub-link.
http://electronbin.com/type.html

> Don't underestimate sweep tubes for audio.

Well, yeah.... but relatively HIGH power work may not be the best place to start. Aside from complexity, full use of a large sweep tube needs large transformers. An additional point is that sweep tubes failed a LOT, so a sweep tube loose in a bucket is very likely all used-up. So you invest hundreds of bucks in the rest of the amplifier, put in your sweep tubes, and they are duds.... then what? A few types are still "cheap" and you can buy NOS. Some others are "still popular" and NOS prices are through the roof. A really experienced designer can design so the same amp can take common EL34 with few changes; but is OP such an experienced designer?

12SN7 would be perfect in a ValveCaster; sadly I don't see it on the list. 12BH7 is similar (more heater power?).
  • SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Just some remarks on some of the list: 9au7 is great in a Valvecaster...same as a 12au7, just 9 volts for the heater.  6cm6 is an output tube...I have an old phono amp that uses it.  50c5, 12ba6 are radio tubes from the 50's/60's, if you know someone into tube radios.  50L6 I have seen in phonograph schematics.  6au6 can be used in the 'Lonewolf' pedal. Know anyone with a tube tester?
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

whomeno

yes Just got a tube tester today. going to go through all the tubes I can test with it to weed out the bad ones. and will redo a list then
I tested all the 12au7's and they are all good 10 of them. also found a 12ax7 which tested good.
Gear as of now
Gibson 2017 Les Paul Tribute T
Epiphone Les paul Special (upgraded)
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
2 X 12 Cabinet with celestion vintage 30 & celestion G12T-75
And a lot of pedals