Boss CE2 clone mods questions

Started by vinceg, October 06, 2018, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I would trust the judgment of Boss engineers more than I would trust the representativeness of on-line demos.

With bass having much more, and deeper, low-frequency content than guitar, you can bet that the difference will be noticeable with bass, even if it is not that audible with guitar.

The Boss DC-2 Dimension-C chorus has recently been reissued as one of their "Wazacraft" pedals (Behringer produces/produced a clone of the DC-2 that is actually quite decent, not to mention much cheaper).  The DC-2 was always one of the A-list choruses, due to its use of two counterswept BBD chips.  As one swept to a longer delay, the other swept towards a shorter delay.  One of the results was that, with one path always sharp when the other was flat, the "pitch wobble" normally associated with chorus was much less perceptible.  I mention this because I'm curious as to whether the DC-2 was a favorite of bass players, as much or even more than with guitar players.

Elijah-Baley

I'll think about the Bass/guitar mode again. I'm using a 125B enclosure, not much space.

I thought I had a veroboard layout od the DC-2, but it was called Dimension P. It has two PT2399, and I just realized it's a totally different circuit! ::)

Aion has a PCB. It's very complicated and an expensive project.

Excuse me, what about this mod?
Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 08, 2018, 09:39:49 AM
The intensity switch, yes, I'm including, and even the Chorus/Vibe switch, though I don't like the Vibe effect as well in the Zombie Chorus.

Before to put in the box and make the off board wiring, I'd like to know the last thing. I noticed a bit loss volume in the Vibe mode, and I read about a mod to avoid this volume loss.
R22 - 47k -> 22k
R24 - 47k -> 56k
I tried and myabe it goes a bit better, but I'm wondering if it has some effect to the stock chorus sound or on the overall volume. I can't test the bypass volume because the circuit is still without the switch. So before mess it up I would likd to know all this.

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

bluebunny

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 09, 2018, 06:30:36 AM
I mention this because I'm curious as to whether the DC-2 was a favorite of bass players, as much or even more than with guitar players.

Not sure if it's similar or not, but I've been known to use the DC-3 Digital Dimension on my bass.  Not had any complaints about not being in tune.  And given that it's fretless, I don't have any problems hearing the pitch.  But it certainly beefs up the sound with some magnificent non-moving swirling!  BTW, I have it on an all-Boss "extreme modulation" board along with the CEB-3 and BF-3 flanger.  I'll leave it to you to decide which is my favourite bass decade (while I go and turn up my jacket sleeves...).

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 09, 2018, 07:18:58 AM
I thought I had a veroboard layout od the DC-2, but it was called Dimension P. It has two PT2399, and I just realized it's a totally different circuit! ::)

I've built a couple of these and used them on bass.  I gave one to Martin Petersen who built my gorgeous Sei bass (see above!).  It's not so different: also two delay lines (albeit PT2399s) with an LFO feeding out-of-phase wobble to each one.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Elijah-Baley

So the Dimension P is a kind of poor Dimension C. :P

How does the Dimension P sound with the guitar?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

bluebunny

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 09, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
So the Dimension P is a kind of poor Dimension C. :P

Yeah, kinda.  It's certainly cheaper.  ;)

How does the Dimension P sound with the guitar?

Chorussy.  The other one I built has disappeared to live with one of my guitarists.  He likes it a lot.  I don't have one left to give you an up to date assessment, but I recall it was pretty decent.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...