Did I get a good deal?

Started by whomeno, October 07, 2018, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whomeno

Hoping I got a good deal on this test equipment.
DeVry Technical Institute 1S14
Heathkit RF Signal Generator Model SG-6
RCA Signal Generator Kit
Bell & Howell Schools DeVry Institute Oscilloscope
LAFAYETTE TE-15 TUBE TESTER

Bought all for 40.00. Did I go wrong?

Gear as of now
Gibson 2017 Les Paul Tribute T
Epiphone Les paul Special (upgraded)
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
2 X 12 Cabinet with celestion vintage 30 & celestion G12T-75
And a lot of pedals

Rob Strand

If you have a use for it the convenience of having any one of those is worth $40.
I wouldn't bother building an RF generator if I could get one for $40.

(I've got a HP 2.2GHz Klystron RF generator I've never used!)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

whomeno

I wanted the tube tester to test all the tubes I just got. So the rest was extras to me,now I have to learn how to use them.
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

thermionix

Those gray chickenheads and matching sockets are pretty sweet.

Most tube testers I've run into needed a few caps (electros) replaced.  Sometimes a resistor or two.  Other than that they're mostly a multi-tap power transformer and switches.

whomeno

tube tester works good. the guy just wanted the stuff gone
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

PRR

The VTMV is good as far as it works. And nice vintage.
The B&H 'scope _is_ a HeathKit with B&H logo. While Heath schematics are slightly hard to find, you can find one which is close. (First ask the seller: ALWAYS ask if the manuals survived.)
Is the RCA an Audio generator? 20CPS-200KC? Always good to have.
You have NO use for the RF generator.
The tube tester is the standard brand (was it Eico??) with Layfayette's logo.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Yes, you got a good deal.  The tube tester alone may be worth that.  It appears to have only four sockets which include 7-pin miniature, 9-pin miniature, octal and locktal.  That should be all you need and it makes the internals very simple and reliable.  Hopefully, you got the booklet with the settings for each type of tube.  The meter is good, the scope is good, the audio signal generator is good but the RF signal generator is probably not going to do anything for you although if the frequencies go down enough, it may be of use testing bucket-brigade delays or other delay elements and it may help with digital circuitry.

You may find some of the manuals here:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/

If you know what heathkit scope yours corresponds to, you may find it here:

https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/

Rob Strand

QuoteThe VTVM is good as far as it works. And nice vintage.
The frequency response of those VTVM's is often much better than most multimeters.
Like you can sweep the oscillator frequency 20Hz to 200kHz and the meter
response is probably as flat as the oscillator itself.  They usually measure smaller
signals as well.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

whomeno

the rca is an rf - af the scale has mc to kc. 1 cable is rf output and the other one is af output. it dose not say audio on it.
Yes got the tube charts for the tester and the manual for the scope.
will the scope be any use to me doing pedals and amps?
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Rob Strand

Quotethe rca is an rf - af the scale has mc to kc. 1 cable is rf output and the other one is af output. it dose not say audio on it.

These things come in handy when you want to test something above 200kHz.   Especially if you have an oscilloscope or build a simple RF voltmeter (with a diode and cap).   If you don't have one it's a pain to test this frequency region.

I'm not sure about that model but the RF side usually covers somewhere around 100kHz to 300kHz at the low end and 30MHz to 100MHz at the high end.    The exact frequencies depend on the model.    Some have a modulation input which you feed your own sine wave into.  Others have a fixed 400Hz or 1kHz sine-wave generator built in which can also be connected to the modulation input.

Their main purpose was to set-up radios back in the day when they were full of adjustable caps, coils and transformers.

vigilante397

To echo what everyone else already said, yes you got a good deal. I think I paid more than $40 just for my tube tester, and it's no fancier than that one (aside from the wooden case, but still).
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

PRR

If the RCA and B&H model-numbers are not secret, it would be good to post them for more specific advice.
  • SUPPORTER

thomasha

worst case you have some nice boxes to build small tube amplifiers.
Best case you have some nice debugging tools.

PRR

Your 'scope will be slightly similar to
https://archive.org/details/HeathkitIO102Manual/

Yes, the case sits the other way, the knobs may be different; but this is the low-end of a range of 'scopes that HeathKit sold (and OEMed) for a decade in various levels. The instructions will get you going. The schematic may be 60%-90% the same; and the basics are always the same.
  • SUPPORTER

whomeno

There is no model number on the rca. the bell & howell, the manual I got from him said 9040. the manual has the schmatics in with it.
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Rob Strand

QuoteYour 'scope will be slightly similar to
https://archive.org/details/HeathkitIO102Manual/

Yes, the case sits the other way, the knobs may be different; but this is the low-end of a range of 'scopes that HeathKit sold (and OEMed) for a decade in various levels. The instructions will get you going. The schematic may be 60%-90% the same; and the basics are always the same.
Considering those Heathkit devices were considered fairly low cost items in the day, that manual is a work of art.  Today you would probably get 5 sheets of paper or maybe instructions how to download a 5 page PDF.

Rob Strand

Maybe this one, 

Bell & Howell,: Oscilloscope 34 [Kit]
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bell_howel_oscilloscope_34.html

FWIW, I saw another model which had four knobs under the display instead of three.  (and they called that Oscilloscope 34)

whomeno

that looks like it
how can I tell if it works?  never used one before
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Rob Strand

I'd first checks there's no connection between the mains plug Active and Neutral and the chassis and to each of the sockets.

One hazards of using old equipment is the mains cables were often rubber and after 20 to 30 years the rubber rots and exposes the mains conductors.

Quotehow can I tell if it works?  never used one before

- Set all pots which have click positions to the clicked position.
  Except maybe the trigger.  Which might be called Sync on that unit.
- Set sweep to say 10ms
- Set all other controls to mid positions
- Turn it on,  wait about 30secs for it to warm up.
- Set intensity to high
- Adjust Focus
- Adjust the Vertical and Horizontal positions to see if you can get a trace.
  If no trace set the Sync to one extreme or the other and try again.
- If still no trace, play around with the width and sync.

Beyond that I'd have to read-up on exactly how that oscilloscope works.   Some of the older CROs had some funky behaviour with triggering.

BTW I can see Oscilloscope 34 marked on this front panel.
http://steptorun.com/shop/icon/2/EX-3-0022.jpg

The whole aim is to get a green horizontal line.  (After that, go for a high-score.)

PRR

> how can I tell if it works?  never used one before

Read The Fine Manual.

The "work of art" Heath manuals were FOR guys who never used a 'scope, and may have built it wrong. The check-out and operation pages walk you through every step.
  • SUPPORTER