High gain distortion volume knob issue

Started by Scribe, October 17, 2018, 07:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribe

Hey all,
Im currently breadboarding a high gain distortion pedal similar to the Guv'nor, but with clipping 4148 diodes instead of LED and a non-inverting op amp gain recovery stage At the end.

When the volume is at about half or below, the pedal sounds great, but as I turn the volume up higher, it starts to sound.... bad. It gets a sort of splattery/unfocused, and it loses a lot of treble content. The issue is much more prominent at higher gain settings.

I know the gain of this pedal is quite high, however the output of the pedal is relatively tame even with the added gain recovery stage since I'm using 4148s as clipping diodes. Does this have something to do with crosstalk between the output/input, or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks for the help!

Scribe

on further examination, it looks like i deviated a bit further from the Guv'nor than I remembered. Here's a quick sketch of my current schematic.. please forgive my handwriting!

thermionix

antonis

Quote from: Scribe on October 17, 2018, 08:40:59 PM
it looks like i deviated a bit further from the Guv'nor
If you only substitute "lot" for "bit"..  :icon_wink:
(first 2 amps topology only recalls for Guv'nor-alike without clipping diodes inside NFB loop; they're placed between second op-amp out and GND for hard clipping in original Guv'nor..)

Quote from: Scribe on October 17, 2018, 08:40:59 PM
I know the gain of this pedal is quite high, however the output of the pedal is relatively tame even with the added gain recovery stage since I'm using 4148s as clipping diodes
You actually recover tonestack loading rather than clipping threashold - like Big Muff Π last stage gain style..
I shouldn't say that a tonestack gain recovery of about 15dB should be considered >high<..

Although I don't like your specific Treble placement (many op-amps don't behave well when driving capacitive loads), try to make 1k & 47nF respective item values..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Scribe

Well, I feel silly.

I decided to A/B the pedal with another overdrive and figured out that the output was clipping the front end of my solid state practice amp, however the low amp volume made me think my pedal output was low. Oh, the wonders of testing pedals in an apartment :icon_lol:

Thank you all for the help.. Definitely need to get into the habit of using reference pedals when breadboarding new designs!

iainpunk

Haha, had something similar happen to me once. I had the gain of the practice amp at 10, and i was wondering why my overdrive didn't have any nuances in its distortion.

Also, welcome to the forum
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

marcelomd

Quote from: Scribe on October 18, 2018, 08:24:10 PM
Well, I feel silly.

I decided to A/B the pedal with another overdrive and figured out that the output was clipping the front end of my solid state practice amp, however the low amp volume made me think my pedal output was low. Oh, the wonders of testing pedals in an apartment :icon_lol:

Thank you all for the help.. Definitely need to get into the habit of using reference pedals when breadboarding new designs!

Well, i spent a day tailoring the overdrive voicing of a new project and thinking it was too harsh. Turns out most of the overdrive was the input of the tonestack clipping...