P-2356 transistor? Boomerang Wah pedal

Started by Ruptor, October 14, 2018, 04:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruptor

Does anybody have information about the so called P-2356 used in the Maestro Boomerang wah pedal? There are links in other threads to circuits but none of them work any more. I can't find anything about the transistors or a datasheet. I have never heard of this type of transistor that might be a reference rather than a manufacturer number.

roseblood11

General Electric made a 2n2356 and a 2n2356a. The latter had a TO-05 case, I couldn't find out about the other. I saw some pictures of an original circuits which clearly showed a TO98 case. Whatever... Try different universal npn silicon bipolar transistors. Play around with the value of the first transistor and keep the second high enough (RG Keen says that anything above hfe=200 will more or less sound the same)

Slowpoke101

• SUPPORTER

Ruptor

Has anybody done a circuit using a Gyrator in place of the 500mH inductor? I wonder if it would produce a better Wah unit.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on October 14, 2018, 06:03:48 PM2N5088 or 2N5089 transistors may suit. Try them and see.

I used BC109s in my clone. You have to play around with the transistors a little bit to find the combo that gives you the least amount of distortion. It's been a while since I built that, so I don't remember all of the details on what I ended up with respect to the transistor HFEs.

EDIT: HFE of around 400 is what worked best for my ears. YMMV.