Fuzz Face Switch - Woolly and Basier to Tighter and Brighter

Started by nation, October 14, 2018, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nation

Dear All

I have been tinkering with a stock Fuzz Face build over the weekend. I like the sound of the 500k volume pot but also like the sound of having a 100k volume pot. I consider a 125k parallel resistor on a switch over the 500k pot but the pot taper doesn't work out.

Which now leads me to which caps do I need to change to give me a similar tonal difference i.e. a switch to change the fuzz character from woolly and bassier to tighter and a slightly brighter?

Also to make this cap switch more effective,  would I be better off hardwiring a 500k volume pot or a 100k volume pot?

FYI and Another Question:

- I had played around with the 2.2uf input cap, 0.01uf output cap and the 22uf fuzz cap. With the input cap, anything below 0.1uf became too thin and bright. I understand this behavior is expected of the input cap. I didn't get the feeling of any tightening of the bass.

- The 0.01uf output cap and the 22uf fuzz cap on the other hand I felt were subtle but did serve to tighten up the fuzz - not sure if that's what is supposed to happen so it would be interesting to hear what you think of these caps and their impact on a fuzz face!? Looking back I only changed these caps in isolation so am now wondering whether changing them as a pairing will make a bigger difference?

pokus

The volume pot and the 0.01uF cap form a high pass filter, so a 100k instead of the 500k pot will cut more lows and gives you a brighter sound. A 2nF cap and the 500k pot should do the same trick. Input cap also forms a hp filter with the input impedance(which is quite low at a common fuzz face). The impact of fuzz cap with regard to the sound isn't really audible, unless you change the value dramatically .

nation

Thanks pokus.

I did some experimenting last night and put switches on all the caps so was able to experiment. For me what worked best was to have the base circuit as a 100k volume pot, 1uf input cap and 22uf fuzz cap and then a single switch that decreases the input cap to 0.1uf and the fuzz cap to 10uf. The switch serves to reduce overall bass and tighten the fuzz and will work well as a single coil/humbucker switch. For me the difference in bass roll off from 1uf to 0.5uf and then to 0.22uf for the input cap was small, going from 0.22uf to 0.1uf had a big difference. I didn't have a cap values between 0.22uf 0.1uf to really hear where the dramatic change occurs.

I also briefly experimented with the 10nf output cap and difference up to 100nf were negligible.