Is an isolated power supply using these LED drivers workable?

Started by sigmundfreud, October 15, 2018, 10:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigmundfreud

Wanting to try building isolated 12 outlet 9-12V pedalboard power supply, like the Spyder http://geofex.com/article_folders/oldspyder/oldspyder.htm
Suitable transformers on Mouser.ca are pricey. The one recommended in the article is not available any more. The 8-output Weber transformer WPDLXFMR-1 sold by them or Smallbear would run to C$70+ with shipping to Canada, also pricey.

Is there a reason not to use 12 of these C$1.24 LED power supplies side by side in a box to power pedals, making a cheap isolated power supply system?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LED-Driver-300mA-Dimmable-3W-4W-5W-7W-Power-Supply-For-LED-Lights-110V-220V-12V/302746575266?hash=item467d1a21a2:m:mcJG_XFjTopD_Fez9h27g1A:rk:86:pf:0

I see 110VAC in, 200-300mA out, so the 4 watt version would presumably supply about 12V DC. (V=W/A).  This could be rectified to 9v
Most guitar pedals typically use <100mA.  See list here http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
I'd wire them in parallel to a single 110v AC input.
Somewhere there should be a fuse I guess.

I'm reading lots about power supplies, transformers etc but still find it very confusing.

thermionix

Quote from: sigmundfreud on October 15, 2018, 10:38:58 AM
Is there a reason not to use 12 of these C$1.24 LED power supplies side by side in a box to power pedals, making a cheap isolated power supply system?

They're probably noisy as hell.  How do you adjust them from 9-12V?  It's not clear to me from the Ebay listing.

LiLFX

Why not look into isolated DC-DC converters? I built an isolated supply using them and it works great.

PRR

> C$1.24 LED power supplies

I do not believe these are isolated from the wall-outlet. Serious Shock Hazard!! OK for lighting, not for plug-connected audio.

• SUPPORTER

printer2

Go to a thrift store and pick up a 12V laptop power supply for $4.
Fred

blackcorvo

Look up power supplies on ebay. They have proper isolated "brick" power supplies by pretty cheap, with very useable current outputs (first search I did, found a 12v 3A power supply for less than US$5.00).

Then, you can use DC-DC boost-buck converter boards to get the outputs you want. You can adjust the output on those from 1.25v to 35v. Those go for less than a buck a pop.

What I'd recommend you is to have 2 separated power supplies: one for the LEDs, another for the pedals. Just to avoid any possible noise the current-hungry LEDs might introduce to the power supply.

You could easily open the power supplies and install them in a single project box, alogside the voltage converters.
She/They as of August 2021

printer2

I agree with the ebay PS's, one thing though is that the generic ones may not put out their rated amperage unless being fed by 230V rather than 120V. The buck converters are worth getting over using a linear regulator.
Fred

sigmundfreud

Quote from: blackcorvo on October 15, 2018, 11:43:42 PM
Look up power supplies on ebay. They have proper isolated "brick" power supplies by pretty cheap, with very useable current outputs (first search I did, found a 12v 3A power supply for less than US$5.00).

Then, you can use DC-DC boost-buck converter boards to get the outputs you want. You can adjust the output on those from 1.25v to 35v. Those go for less than a buck a pop.

I've already got some thrift store power supplies that will give me 12, 15, 24V DC.
So, each of the converter boards will give isolated outputs?  What I'm after is no noise / ground loops.
Total newcomer to power supply stuff, thanks for any insight.

Rixen

search for B1212S - these are a fairly generic 12V - 12V isolated converter that can be got for around $12 for 5 pieces on Aliexpress. Follow it with a 9V regulator..

sigmundfreud

Quote from: Rixen on October 16, 2018, 04:49:49 PM
search for B1212S
Thanks for the specific part recommendation. CAD$20 for 10 on ebay, good price.
Brian

sigmundfreud

Quote from: Rixen on October 16, 2018, 04:49:49 PM
search for B1212S - these are a fairly generic 12V - 12V isolated converter that can be got for around $12 for 5 pieces on Aliexpress. Follow it with a 9V regulator..
ote]

Follow up questions:
1 The datasheet
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/1007/B1212S_D-1W-pdf.php
shows max current output of 21mA; this is going to be too little for some effects, right?
2 the datasheet also says "this product should never be operated under no load!" . Does this mean a problem if the effect is off? Or just put in a resistor before the output socket?

Rixen

that current is for the 0.25W version (wrong datasheet supplied for that product), most versions are 1W with 83mA output at 12V. 2W versions also exist, and yes, you should have a small load connected (8mA LED indicator ?)