Messing with 6s6b submini tube...

Started by Renegadrian, October 17, 2018, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Hello guys, been a while since my last post, all the usual s..t and also good things in life that takes you away from diying (regular job, on 6h shifts, and also got married)

yesterday I was messing with this triode tube, I tried the usual triode configuration and guess what, it works so good!!!

List of voltages and components

22n plate out
33k plate
22k grid
1M grid stop
1k cathode
10ยต cathode

v in 11.9
multiplier 72.7
plate v 39.7
cathode v 1

mandatory values are the plate resistor and the cathode resistor, other components are up to you.
voltage is from 40106 multiplier, heaters are from a 7906 with a 4148 diode to ground on the middle pin (it goes 6.4 - 6.5 v so it's ok)
next step is a regular dual triode preamp...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

vigilante397

Anyone says "submini tube" and I come running 8) Thanks for sharing! I got a grab bag a while ago that's mostly 6N16's and 6N17's but also has some odd ones, I'll have to see if I've got any of these around.

Also, congrats on getting marriage! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: Renegadrian on October 17, 2018, 06:39:10 PM
. . . and also got married

And the last thing you mention is getting married??   :o   Don't tell your wife!   ;D

Congratulations, Adriano.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 17, 2018, 07:34:12 PM
Anyone says "submini tube" and I come running 8)

I think Nathan must be Rick's Padawan.   :)

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

blackcorvo

I have a handful of those tubes, and some other subminiature tubes in my collection. Recently retrofit a full subminiature tube amp into a Honeytone enclosure:

https://hackaday.com/2018/02/19/tiny-guitar-amp-rebuilt-with-tiny-tubes/

Only thing I've changed in the project since then, is that I used a different high-voltage DC-DC converter. Used a smaller one (still plenty of power for the circuit, but easier to place away from the preamp tube, to avoid noise induction).

Honestly thinking of making a little hybrid amp, with subminis and a class D power amp board. A project for the future, for sure.
She/They as of August 2021

Renegadrian

Quote from: blackcorvo on October 18, 2018, 03:57:10 AM
I have a handful of those tubes, and some other subminiature tubes in my collection. Recently retrofit a full subminiature tube amp into a Honeytone enclosure:

https://hackaday.com/2018/02/19/tiny-guitar-amp-rebuilt-with-tiny-tubes/

Only thing I've changed in the project since then, is that I used a different high-voltage DC-DC converter. Used a smaller one (still plenty of power for the circuit, but easier to place away from the preamp tube, to avoid noise induction).

Honestly thinking of making a little hybrid amp, with subminis and a class D power amp board. A project for the future, for sure.

Nice! Please put a link of the schem, it would be great to put a submini power amp and get a similar mini amp!!! Tell me more about the converters you used, the bigger one and the latter.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

blackcorvo

thomasha

Subscribed!

Never heard of the 6s6b, single triode you say? Is it the russian 6C6b? There are some single triodes with really low filament currents, they would be a nice alternative for the 6N17b or the 6111.

Tha honeytone is smaller than I thought, the SMPS takes more space than the OT! Looks like a tight squeeze.

Renegadrian

Quote from: thomasha on October 18, 2018, 03:21:57 PM
Never heard of the 6s6b, single triode you say? Is it the russian 6C6b?
yes it's not a regular western letter but a cirillic one, so you see C but it's S

blackcorvo

Quote from: thomasha on October 18, 2018, 03:21:57 PM
Tha honeytone is smaller than I thought, the SMPS takes more space than the OT! Looks like a tight squeeze.

It was, until I changed for the new, smaller SMPS I mentioned before. It sits in the bottom corner now, away from the preamp tube. No more switching noise!  8)
But you could get more room if you were to use a more modern, neodymium magnet speaker, or even an alnico one. I used this ceramic speaker because it looks nice, and also because it kinda helps hold the OT in place without the need for screws or glue.

Also, just a little tip I just discovered, if you wanna use 8-pin subminiature tubes: look up TO-99 or TO-5 IC sockets. They're for those round can style ICs, and they'll work great for these tubes. I didn't know about them when I built the Honeytube, so I ended up soldering my tubes directly onto 9-pin sockets... sigh!