What quad opamp is good?

Started by iainpunk, October 31, 2018, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

Im currently using LM324 quad opamps on my breadboard because i have them available, but they aren't anywhere near acceptable in respect to sound quality. They have the nasty property of crossover distortion.
For double opamps i use tl072, which are fine.
If i ever use single opamps, ill use the 741, just because i have about 35 of the can package ones, 5 of the dip8 ones and 2 dip14 ones.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

EBK

TL074 is what I use everytime I need a quad.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Yep, what Eric said.  If you like 072s, then you'll like 074s too.  Twice as much.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

iainpunk

Thanks, ill buy/order one from my local electronics shop (very expensive) and if im pleased, ill order them off of Mouser or Conrad
My local electronics shop has the audacity to ask €5,75 for a simple 741, im so glad the internet exists.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

EBK

I've observed that many (most?) people seem to prefer laying out a circuit for two dual op amps rather than a quad.  I'm sure there are some benefits there, but I like quads.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

iainpunk

Quote from: EBK on October 31, 2018, 10:01:38 AM
I've observed that many (most?) people seem to prefer laying out a circuit for two dual op amps rather than a quad.  I'm sure there are some benefits there, but I like quads.
I was working on a school project, something with active feedback for speakers, and i ended up using 6 double opamps, the tlc2262.
I wished my school stocked bigger packages which house more opamps, I don't like the duals as much as the quads, but honestly, i wish there were hex opamps readily available.

cheers

amz-fx

Also available are the LF444 and LF347

MC34074 and MC33074 are being discontinued in through-hole packages but Mouser has lots of them in stock.

regards, Jack

iainpunk

To be honest, the main reason i want to use quad opamps or higher, is that i always like to pack to as much functionality in as little real estate on a perfboard as possible, and higher number of devices per ic saves on power trace real estate more than you'd expect. (I am the kind of idiot who puts resistors and diodes straight up if the schematic allows for it)
My best friend mentioned dual opamps in single In Line packages, which is 1x8 holes, while a normal double opamp 4x4=16 holes and a quad opamp is 7x4=28 holes
The SIP8 opamps can be put right next to eachother giving me the possibility to power both with two traces, while being 12 holes smaller than a quad opamp.
In conclusion, im gonna search for a dual opamp in a SIP8 package with fet input and crossover distortion free output...

cheers

ElectricDruid

+1 TL074 is a good choice for a lot of stuff.

You should look into etching your own boards and putting SOIC packages on the trackside if the space is the biggest issue. SOIC is large enough to be pretty easy to solder, but still a lot smaller than DIPs.

With respect to the layout, I find quads annoying because the power pins are the "wrong way around" compared to most other chips. That means if I've got a row of chips, I can't just run two power rails up the middle if there's a quad, whereas I can if there's a pair of duals. For stripboard/veroboard, this probably isn't such a consideration, but it's a pain for PCB layout.
I do like quads where I can make use of the left side/right side being the same but flipped. If you're doing something in stereo and can do the two channels as mirror images of each other, that's perfect!

Rixen

yep, the TLxx family is hard to beat. I've used it as a benchmark in my comparison table found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VjHWtAaqLJBZi7CKDw5SlzluXgqv__cc42lV0K1jMvQ/edit?usp=sharing

red cells represents parameters I consider *worse* than the TLxx.

The main caveats with it are: operation not gauranteed below 7V single supply, a limited common mode input range, limited output headroom, a phase inversion issue when the input is driven past the common mode input range.

Might sound like a lot, but none of these *usually* become an issue

The OPA164x and OPA167x are a good options (price ?) but not available in DIP package AFAIK. Judging by published data anyway. Haven't personally used them.

I'm always on the lookout for new devices to add to this table BTW