Dual Wah circuit

Started by cniers13, November 16, 2018, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cniers13

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if you made two wah circuits could you use one physical pedal and have separate switches for each circuit; no necessarily activated by the wah pedal itself . Are you able to do this and have each circuit soldered to the same pot?

cniers13

Almost like the fuzz wah but I'm looking to combine the tycobrahe wah and pedalflanger into one unit but separate circuits and switches.

thermionix

What pot value do each of your circuits need?  A dual ganged, 2-value pot with a gear would be hard to find.  Probably easier to make.  If both circuits can use the same pot, you can (theoretically) switch it between the two circuits.

mth5044

Check out the wah write up on GEOFEX where RG writes about using an LED/LDR instead of the pot. If you use that, you could use two LDRs around one LED, then you can use the same pot for both circuits at once and just switch the in/outs.

Rob Strand

I'm sure you could get it to work.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

cniers13

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/tycobrahe_pedalflanger.pdf

So this is the schematic. I'm pretty sure it uses a double pot like the parapedal wah. Not sure the value yet.

cniers13

I'm thinking it looks like 100k pot...
EDIT: P4 is at the top and it says 10k
EDIT 2: Learned that P4 and P3 are their own separate controls for speed and intensity. TP1 is on the right but not sure the value

cniers13

Quote from: thermionix on November 16, 2018, 02:55:51 PM
What pot value do each of your circuits need?  A dual ganged, 2-value pot with a gear would be hard to find.  Probably easier to make.  If both circuits can use the same pot, you can (theoretically) switch it between the two circuits.

Also i think im going to fit it for my Vox wah, according to some builders on the tagboard sites it can fit.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: cniers13 on November 17, 2018, 10:27:47 AM
http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/tycobrahe_pedalflanger.pdf

So this is the schematic. I'm pretty sure it uses a double pot like the parapedal wah. Not sure the value yet.

I don't think much of the pre/post delay filtering in that schematic. Why don't I think much of it? Because there isn't much of it!

I guess with short delays the clock frequency will stay above the audio range, but any clock feedthrough will feed ultrasonics into the next pedal in the chain. Not great.

cniers13

Even if you run two circuits, wouldn't you be okay? I'm not planning on having them both on at the same time. I just like the sound of the tyco wah and the pedalflanger and figured that one rocker pedal would work. My plan is to build a separate housing for the flanger circuit and run the wires through the wah pedal enclosure. Kinda like the morley power wah where the stomp switches are on the side.

digi2t

Head's up....

Just make sure that the schematic is correct. I've downloaded schematics from Hendrik's site before and found errors on occasion.

Measure twice, cut once. :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

cniers13

I appreciate the response, any tips with this particular schematic?

Rob Strand

QuoteHead's up....

Just make sure that the schematic is correct. I've downloaded schematics from Hendrik's site before and found errors on occasion.
I think that's because he traces a lot of boards.  If there's no one to help check it's easy for errors to get in. It's hard to check your own work.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

amz-fx

The schematic for Craig Anderton's dual wah is near the end of this page of schematics:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/index.html

regards, Jack

cniers13

Rob Strand

QuoteWhich one? The anti wah?
Yes.

For that circuit one wah goes up when you put the pedal down and the other wah goes down.

There was another form of dual wah which had two wah peaks at different frequencies both going up and both going down.  The aim was to sound more vocal like.

QuoteAlmost like the fuzz wah but I'm looking to combine the tycobrahe wah and pedalflanger into one unit but separate circuits and switches.

If you want this but operating off the same pedal then you just need a dual pot or the one pot + 2x LDR idea you mentioned.

They are all doing different things.

cniers13

Both circuits call for a dual pot anyway, so if I just run the wires to the same pot I should be fine right?

cniers13

They're going to be separate effects. I just want one wah rocker for both to use

Rob Strand

QuoteThey're going to be separate effects. I just want one wah rocker for both to use
That's what I understood from your original post.

QuoteBoth circuits call for a dual pot anyway, so if I just run the wires to the same pot I should be fine right?

If you use a single pot an *no LDR's* the two circuits will interact and it won't work.    The LDRs help in that they maintain the electrical separation of the two circuits.   Like you could switch the pot to one circuit *or* the other.  However my understanding is you want the option of running both together as well and that's where you really need the LDR type solution.

A different approach would be to use two dual pots then set-up the mechanics so the pedal actuates the two pots.   That's conceptually easy and involves no electronics trickery.   Imagine having two pedals then sticking rod through them so they both move together.   Instead of two pedals you have one pedal and two actuating mechanisms off the one pedal.

cniers13

I appreciate the help. I may look into the ldr thing. Right now I'm still trying to get the pedalflanger circuit figured out and onto PCB