Death by Audio Fuzz War schematic

Started by gigimarga, July 04, 2009, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zjokka

Quote from: gigimarga on July 17, 2009, 09:11:22 AM
Quote from: analogguru on July 17, 2009, 08:46:52 AM
QuoteMaybe you could try cascading  a number of  properly (i.e. stable) biased stages together....
Maybe you won´t believe it, but  exactly this is done inside the power-grid.  5 or 6 stages with a gain of 10 each, low pass filtering between the stages.

analogguru

Do you have a schematic of it?

Do check that other forum:
http://www.diystompboxes.com
;-)

DougH

Quote from: analogguru on July 17, 2009, 08:46:52 AM
QuoteMaybe you could try cascading  a number of  properly (i.e. stable) biased stages together....
Maybe you won´t believe it, but  exactly this is done inside the power-grid.  5 or 6 stages with a gain of 10 each, low pass filtering between the stages.

analogguru

There you go...

Distortion is easy, really super-simple. It's EQ that is hard. But noizetoyz people don't usually worry about that too much... It just appears that some of them need to learn some basic electronics...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Quote from: DougH on July 17, 2009, 06:49:08 AM
Someone mentioned verbiage of "specially matched transistors". That implies that he's looking for specific hfe values in the transistors he uses. Without that info, this 'design' is useless as it won't bias properly unless hfe (and temp) is correct.

BTW I forgot to mention... You can predict the required hfe given the resistor values and supply voltage. Just requires some simple math. But why bother, when you could just design it right to begin with? Then temp stability and needing to "match" stuff is no longer an issue.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

gigimarga

Thx a lot all of you!
I will check the schematic :)

sevenjeams

Analogguru, thank for the schematic of the FW. Just one question about it, what is the value of the capacitors between each stage of gain. 0.1uF, 1uF (most of fuzz schematic I found have those values) or something else?

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gigimarga

All caps are 0.68uF according to the schematic from the other side :)

Frances Rhodes

i know this topic is old now but i just found this (means i didn't try or hear the result), maybe this could save the trouble of buying a million components and select/measure/match them...
http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Raw_Fuzz_v1/p847124_8389179.aspx
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

Frances Rhodes

by the way, could someone explain what is the interest of whiring the volume pot that way instead of the "usual" voltage divider?
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

CaptainTango

The pedalparts kit is great! Sounds quite like the original I have which also sports four transistors.
I have no idea where that crazy 7 transistor schematic came from or whether or not it's true that that circuit ever was put in use,
but the original one is basically just a 2n5088 Colorsound Supa Tonebender with a different tone stack and a few different components here and there.
It's a wild beast, but I find unlike a generic muff, much more open and manageable.
I put Red LEDs in mine and it's fantastic. Cuts through the mix like no other pedal I've used, save for the Scarab Deluxe.

Next I'm going to ditch the whole tone stack and put a bias control on Q3 instead. I think that'll be fantastic.

Plexi

Bump for an old thread  ;D

I built it yesterday, using this layout:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZmxSWqg1_kg/V3_peCj_LdI/AAAAAAAAD5A/-ArwD6S6HY8FeRI99UoOKu0c_sjz9jtFQCK4B/s1600/DBA%2BFuzz%2BWar%2BII.png

Anyone??

I used a combination of 2n3904 and bc549.
1N60 diodes.
Sounds great, a huge range in the EQ: too many mid / highs that saturates the amp.

Some observation: when the drive knob is full down, I can ear the a low background distortion, but the clean guitar over.

Is that normal in the design?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

sohosteve

Some observation: when the drive knob is full down, I can ear the a low background distortion, but the clean guitar over.

[/quote]

That is exactly what the original Fuzz War does that I have.

Plexi

Quote from: sohosteve on April 14, 2017, 08:46:47 AM

That is exactly what the original Fuzz War does that I have.
[/quote]

Thanks!
It was what I imagined
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

garfo

Guys, not sure if this would be of great help but I have opened one from 2017, 3 knobs, and the clipping section has a Red LED and a yellow diode that looks like a capacitor that I can't identify. If allowed, I can place a pic.

rankot

Try to make a good, high res image, with strong light, so parts can be easily identified. Make sure you shot whole PCB and make a separate photo of every part you want identified.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!