What is the Guitar Pedal Bible?

Started by Dolmetscher007, December 09, 2018, 11:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolmetscher007

I love the internet, but I am old enough to still be one of those old school dinosaurs that really like to learn (at least in the beginning) from a book. I saw one book on Amazon.com by Dave Hunter on the Guitar Effects Pedal handbook. However, it looks, at first glance, like more of a, "This is what a phaser, chorus, flanger etc. does. I am looking for a "So you want to build your own Guitar Effects Pedals? Here's how!"

It is totally possible that there just isn't one. I'm sure that Guitar Effects Pedal How-To books aren't exactly flying off bookstore shelves. But if any of you have any books that you've found very helpful as a start, I'd love to know what it is.

Thanks everyone!

Also... Just curious... does everyone have to fill out the little 5-6 questions quiz every time you post on this forum?

pinkjimiphoton

hey man, welcome!
the stompbox cookbook is often cited as a good starting point, but i think all ya really need is a breadboard, 20 bux worth of components and this here website.

brian wampler's stuff is also good to look at, but thats on the other forum.

there's quite a few of them. if you wanna understand how they work, boscarelli's book is really good.

but i dunno if theres a bible. if there is, this may be it ;)

i'd offer to share, but ethics prohibit that without permission.

start with the beginner project. work your way up from there.

beware. this is an addiction. the tones, the adventure, the fumes and dust and little pieces of wire pinging across the room are all part of the charm. ;)

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

electrosonic

• SUPPORTER

Dolmetscher007

Thanks man! I really appreciate the assist. I went and bookmarked Brian Wampler's site. I looked for the Stompbox Cookbook... YIKES!!! $289.95!!! Gal Gadot would have to hand deliver it, buck-naked, before I'd drop 300 bones on a book. ;D

Shame though. By reading the reviews, it does look like a hell of a book. I don't understand how, in 2018-19 books can still go "out-of-priint." it's not like I want it leather bound on parchment with hand lettering by the author himelf. I'd settle for a $12 .pdf version and print the damn thing myself. Ha ha ha. Oh well...

Thanks man! I appreciate the tips.

thermionix

electrosonic

The stompbox cookbook used to be available online as a pdf. It is an interesting read, but it tends to favour bipolar supplies and some out of production ICs.  The stompboxology papers are worth tracking down too.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

It depends on your background.

If you know how to use a pedal and you know what they sound like then that's a big start.

Then there's knowing the main blocks inside of each pedal.  This is more the conceptual level without any circuits.  The first step would be to link that with what you already know.

Then the next step is the electronics ie. what those blocks look like in terms of parts and circuits.   In another galaxy is the digital signal processing (DSP) world.  Here you don't think about electronics, instead you think about what those blocks look like in terms of maths and writing code to do the maths.

If you already know electronics (or DSP) then bridging the gap is easier.   If you are learning electronics *and* trying to learn effects then you need to go slow.  Start with small projects and build up your knowledge.  Looking at *heaps* of examples and trying to make sense of them is extremely helpful.  This is where the internet can help a lot.   You have to start out slow otherwise you will get overwhelmed.  It's like thinking about playing like Joe Satriani when you are struggling to make your fingers form an D chord.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

garyg

You could join the 'DIY STOMPBOXES(unofficial)' facebook group and have a peek in the Files section, maybe some PDFs you'd appreciate...

Mark Hammer

I have the Hunter book, and would not recommend it.  The interviews in it are great, but his analysis of pedal internals is often misleading, with circuit diagrams that are outright false (ever heard of the NE575 compander?) or simplified beyond workability.  Relative to his other books, I was very disappointed.

You can never go wrong with any of Craig Anderton's books.  One of his more overlooked books is this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Guitar-Gadgets-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825622948
It goes through every control and effect type that existed at that time in pedal history, and discusses what they can do.  I found it very useful for understanding pedals as systems.  On the other hand, if one's goal is fundamentally about making things, that's not your book.

Dolmetscher007

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 10, 2018, 01:10:12 AM
It depends on your background.

If you know how to use a pedal and you know what they sound like then that's a big start.

I def. know a good bit about how to use pedals. I have been recording and mixing bands since the Tascam 4-track days. Now, having come up through ProTools and Apple Logic X Pro, plus just having played through, bought, and sold hundreds of pedals throughout my guitar playing life, I know about modulation, reverb, distortion etc. from a user's pov. That being said... I am STILL not really sure about things like signal chain. For example... I do not know if it is better to put a wah pedal first, right out of the guitar, then go through distortion, vibe/trem/chorus, .. or vice versa. In fact, I don't really know anything about that from a best-practices point of view. At the moment, I am pedal'less. I lost my whole pedal rig; (very long and crappy story). Luckily I'm playing drums in my current band, so I have time to rebuild. So I decided, I've always wanted to learn... so I'm going to BUILD all my new pedals. It's a lofty goal, but I ain't afraid uh no ghost.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 10, 2018, 10:43:38 AM
I have the Hunter book, and would not recommend it.  The interviews in it are great, but his analysis of pedal internals is often misleading, with circuit diagrams that are outright false (ever heard of the NE575 compander?) or simplified beyond workability.  Relative to his other books, I was very disappointed.

You can never go wrong with any of Craig Anderton's books.  One of his more overlooked books is this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Guitar-Gadgets-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825622948
It goes through every control and effect type that existed at that time in pedal history, and discusses what they can do.  I found it very useful for understanding pedals as systems.  On the other hand, if one's goal is fundamentally about making things, that's not your book.

Thanks for the heads'up on the Dave Hunter book. He also wrote a book on guitar pickups that I think is similar. He seems to be a writer that loves guitar, rather than a guitar player that can kinda write; if that makes any sense.

I think that in the very near future, I just need to jump in and get my feet wet. I have always had a tendency in my past to be mentally designing the logo, clever name, color scheme, and button layout, before I even know what a transistor is. I"m being hyperbolic to prove a point. But... only kinda. ;-)

So, I think that before I take even one more step, I need to figure out how to get started with just basic electronics tools. I have the following tools...

• BK Precission 388B Digital manual multi-meter that I've never taken out of the box and don't know how to use.
  • Weller WES51 soldering station... also still in the box
  • Hakko 599B-02 Wire-type soldering iron tip cleaner
  • SRA Solderintg Products: Rosin Paste Flux #135 in a 2 oz Jar
  • Whizzotech Solder Wire 60/40 Tin/Lead Sn60Pb40 with Flux Rosin Core,  Diameter 0.032 Inch/0.8mm
  • 50 ft. of solid 12 gauge wire (too think)
  • 50 ft of stranded 16 gauge wire (better for pedals I think)

And that is it.

I'd really like to get set up so that I can just start ordering components and prototyping, playing, and seeing what does what. But I don't really know about things like breadboards. I've never used one, or even seen one. I can easily get into over-analysis peralysis, so I am trying to stay away from bogging down in 2 months of asking "Who makes the best bread boards?", "Should I get the M, L, or XL bread boards?" "Who makes the best resistors?" etc etc.

So if you guys have any advice like, "Dude... just go to www.awesomeBreadBoardWebsite.com, but a Model#666WTF, pick up 10 of these, 10 of these, and 10 of these... Oh, and sink some good money into THIS awesome but reasponable desktop power supply..." I'd like that kind of advice. Ha ha ha..

Thanks guys. You've all been killer help so far.

P.S. Do you always have to answer these 5 questions about the Captcha letters and guitar strings and knobs?

thermionix

QuoteP.S. Do you always have to answer these 5 questions about the Captcha letters and guitar strings and knobs?

No, first 5 posts only I think.  There was a rash of spam a year or two ago.

Quote50 ft of stranded 16 gauge wire (better for pedals I think)

16AWG is HUGE for pedals, won't fit into the little holes in perfboard or PCBs.  Most don't go larger than 22AWG.

Quotebetter to put a wah pedal first, right out of the guitar, then go through distortion, vibe/trem/chorus

Yes.

Aleenbahia

Hi! I made my first stompbox recently, finished it last weekend (A Blues Breaker clone), and was a little like you...
I think you have almost what it takes to start, just get the 22-24AWG Stranded cable.
The book i founded really educational was the Electronic Projets For Musicans, first chapters explain a little bit of fundamentals of electronics and building practice. Also youtube: Watch soldering tutorials, and also while you´re working you´d start with lots of doubts, then you search the net for specific info...
Buy a simple kit (Fuzz, distortion, overdrive maybe, look for something with few parts), or the pcb and go to a local shop with the parts list and just get started!!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Dolmetscher007 on December 10, 2018, 12:32:47 PM
Thanks for the heads'up on the Dave Hunter book. He also wrote a book on guitar pickups that I think is similar. He seems to be a writer that loves guitar, rather than a guitar player that can kinda write; if that makes any sense.
The pickup book is excellent, full of as much information as manufacturers are willing to reveal, but quite common-sense in many respects.  The sound-sample disc is pretty decent.  Hunter writes columns for Vintage Guitar and other mags.  He's normally very well-informed, which is why I found the pedal book such a letdown.  But even the best hitters can let a strike go by them before they hit a home run.

MaxPower

Ah, if you're just getting into electronics I recommend Electronic Principles  and Transistor Circuit Approximations, both by Malvino. Don't need the latest editions and older editions can be found for a fiver, give or take.

Check out small bear's site. He has some tutorials/simple projects to get you started on how to use breadboards and how to start building pedals.

There is a topic by Mark Hammer about a magazine archive. There is a link there for americanradiohistory which has a huge archive of electronics mags.  You'll have to dig through them but there are article aimed at beginners. Plus they have a ton of projects, just be aware that many of them are based on obsolete components. Transistor based projects can usually be made to work with available parts though you may have to fiddle with them a bit. I know you're primarily interested in guitar pedals/audio effects but once you get sucked in you'll inevitably find non musical projects which you'll find useful and want to build.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Rob Strand

QuoteI def. know a good bit about how to use pedals.
You should have an good idea where you going then.   You will probably find you spend most of you time with electronics related issues.

I can't recommend any books on effects.

For specific stuff on some of the building-blocks used in effects:
http://geofex.com/

For transistors I posted some stuff a while back.    The GE transistor Handbook is a good reference when you are starting out.  You can download it from the links,
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=119315

For electronics in general, the first one might be too close to engineering, the second on is more approachable,
- Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith
- The Art of Electronics Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill

Opamps,
http://www.ece.uprm.edu/~mtoledo/5205/Docs/basic_apps.pdf

Another one,
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa092b/sboa092b.pdf

There's plenty of PDFs on various topics on the Texas Instruments website.
Some good ones by Mancini, for example opamps,
https://web.mit.edu/6.101/www/reference/op_amps_everyone.pdf

There's a good article on Analog Delay Lines (used for Choruses and Flangers) here (written by Ray Marston, who  always writes decent articles).  See page 18,
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-Today/Australia/80s/ETI%201983-02%20February.pdf
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Feral Feline

QuoteI have always had a tendency in my past to be mentally designing the logo, clever name, color scheme, and button layout, before I even know what a transistor is. I"m being hyperbolic to prove a point. But... only kinda. ;-)

I see nothing wrong with that at all, 'cause you'll be confronted with finding out what a transistor is in due course if you want to fully realise the dream/concept for the pedal.

Just be prepared for having to redesign the layout of the controls once you realise your chosen enclosure is too small to house all the controls, or find the vero layout is much bigger than a purchased PCB for the same circuit, or ...

Some people want to build a Tube Screamer kit and velcro it to their board with a Sharpy for labelling the controls; other people want to make something that's aesthetically pleasing to themselves, but still only want a TS-808 but with some minor mods and the satisfaction of saying "I built it myself".

Then there's the nutter-newbs with no experience who want a pro-looking pedal with nice paint, graphics and labelling, but don't want to ape another green Ibanez variant — something unusual and modded further. These are the people that search out Beavis "getting started" type docs, download the "Suggested components to get started" from every DIY PCB supplier that offers such a thing to get the electronic larder launched.

There's no right or wrong path, IMO, only your path. Sometimes the path we choose is somewhat more arduous than we would've liked. Sometimes that path leads us to having buckets of a component type we likely will never be able to use up, and undoubtedly every new brain-storm requires yet another part that inexplicably is NOT in the meticulously (*hah!) organised drawer-bins... And to make shipping costs worthwhile, probably should order some other stuff from that supplier, too. A couple of bucks worth of transistors and $25 for shipping...

Have fun!

Dolmetscher007

Quote from: Feral Feline on December 13, 2018, 08:19:50 AM
QuoteI have always had a tendency in my past to be mentally designing the logo, clever name, color scheme, and button layout, before I even know what a transistor is. I"m being hyperbolic to prove a point. But... only kinda. ;-)

I see nothing wrong with that at all, 'cause you'll be confronted with finding out what a transistor is in due course if you want to fully realise the dream/concept for the pedal.

Just be prepared for having to redesign the layout of the controls once you realise your chosen enclosure is too small to house all the controls, or find the vero layout is much bigger than a purchased PCB for the same circuit, or ...

Some people want to build a Tube Screamer kit and velcro it to their board with a Sharpy for labelling the controls; other people want to make something that's aesthetically pleasing to themselves, but still only want a TS-808 but with some minor mods and the satisfaction of saying "I built it myself".

Then there's the nutter-newbs with no experience who want a pro-looking pedal with nice paint, graphics and labelling, but don't want to ape another green Ibanez variant — something unusual and modded further. These are the people that search out Beavis "getting started" type docs, download the "Suggested components to get started" from every DIY PCB supplier that offers such a thing to get the electronic larder launched.

There's no right or wrong path, IMO, only your path. Sometimes the path we choose is somewhat more arduous than we would've liked. Sometimes that path leads us to having buckets of a component type we likely will never be able to use up, and undoubtedly every new brain-storm requires yet another part that inexplicably is NOT in the meticulously (*hah!) organised drawer-bins... And to make shipping costs worthwhile, probably should order some other stuff from that supplier, too. A couple of bucks worth of transistors and $25 for shipping...

Have fun!

Feral Feline...

I think you just became my hero! Ha ha ha!!! I agree with 100% of what you said, and I even like how you wrote/arranged it. 

Here is the camp that I am in, as far as pedals go...

• I do not want to build pedals for anyone else, like to make money or "start a business." Quite the opposite actually.
  • I want to learn HOW effects really work, and as much as I can about designing my own pedals.. that NO ONE else can have. Ha ha ha!!!

• I do not want to mimic existing pedals.
  • I want to learn what makes a Rat sound different from an Electro Harm. Muff, and what makes a Tube Screamer sound like a Tube Screamer, and a Boss DS-1. So that I can mix, match, simplify, elaborate on, scale back, ramp up... and just make my own pedals.

As far as form factor, I want to create a "pedal board" that is somewhere between a rack-mount system, and a traditional pedal board. Rather than having 6-7 little colorful metal boxes all stuck down to a board and cabled together. I want to construct some kind of modular system where I can have a 6-7 "units" all with the same sized front panel. Then I can slip these "units" into my "rack system" on the floor, and the on/off foot-switches are attached to the "slots."
I will still have to plug each unit in it's slot and cable it to the foot switch. I'm not arrogant enough to try to come up with some drop in uni-socket system where you can just rip the modules (pedals) in and out of their slots and re-arrange them on the fly. But you get the idea.