Headers for Connecting DC Jack to PCB

Started by turdadactyl, December 14, 2018, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turdadactyl

Is anyone using headers like this?

I'm starting to think it would be a good way to connect a DC jack with an internal nut and still be able to take the PCB out if necessary.  Curious what part numbers people have used.

thermionix

j_flanders

thermionix

It's a good idea for the inside-nut DC jack issue.  The knobs on that Keeley gotsta go, tho.

turdadactyl

ElectricDruid

Those are Molex KK headers, or one of the cheaper imitations of them.

I do use them, but not on pedals. They're pretty expensive, so that's one reason. The other reason is that they're a crimped connection. The required crimping tool is *WAY* over-priced, so unless you're in a production environment and can justify spending the money, it just doesn't makes sense.
Consequently a lot of hobbyists use those connectors, but then break the golden rule of crimp connectors by soldering them instead! It's very slow and not very reliable, since the wires crack at the end of the solder joint.

There are some multiway ones that can accept a ribbon cable and use an insulation displacement connection. For those, you only need a "mushroom" tool, which is much cheaper (although still over-priced).

Rob Strand

QuoteI do use them, but not on pedals. They're pretty expensive, so that's one reason. The other reason is that they're a crimped connection. The required crimping tool is *WAY* over-priced, so unless you're in a production environment and can justify spending the money, it just doesn't makes sense.
Consequently a lot of hobbyists use those connectors, but then break the golden rule of crimp connectors by soldering them instead! It's very slow and not very reliable, since the wires crack at the end of the solder joint.
Crimp tools can get ridiculous.   I remember we used these cables with a funny connector attached to go into a motherboard.  For EMC reasons we needed to change the off the shelf connector and were going to get them made.   Pins:  minimum order quantity 20000.  Tool  $1000+.   Our local cable manufacturer didn't have the tool so we had to absorb the 20k moq and the tool.  We ended up asking the manufacturer of the original cable to make a custom version.

For small volume hand-made stuff it's often cheaper and easier to just solder in the wires.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

turdadactyl

Quote from: ElectricDruid on December 15, 2018, 01:58:14 PM
Those are Molex KK headers, or one of the cheaper imitations of them.

I guess the pitch is sort of unimportant as long as you're using the matching male and female headers?

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/1722861102_PCB_HEADERS.xml

bean

You can get extremely inexpensive, pre-wired connectors in 2, 3,---,10 connections from AliExpress and Bandgood. I've started using them on DC jacks since that's the place it makes the most sense.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50Sets-XH2-54-Single-Head-2Pin-2Way-Wire-To-Board-Connector-15cm-24AWG-With-Socket/32454881478.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.725f4c4dT2BHmd

They also have them in 1.5mm spacing which is useful if you need a buss of some sort.

anotherjim

I make connectors by cutting down male or female 0.1" headers from larger strips like 20way or more. For the female parts it means losing a contact position 'cause I have to cut through those. Pick male or female to be the pcb or cable half.
The solder pins are not intended for wires, but of course, you can do that and put a piece of heatshrink sleeve over the thing. I find that connection method is only suitable for connectors that are not going to be handled often. And to be roadworthy, add a blob of hot glue over it to keep it in place.
For prototyping work, I use small offcuts of stripboard or perfboard cut into narrow strips giving 2 holes per contact. One hole for the connector pin and one for the wire end. That lasts much better if I'm going to be taking it apart often to work on it and they can be made for as many pins in one connector as needed.

I've also used, and keep stocked, readymade 2 pin single ended female header cable which is on red & black wire perfect for power connections (or panel LED's).
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_230&products_id=2678
Double ended but long enough to cut in half to get two of 'em!