Capacitors: My FAQ

Started by Dolmetscher007, December 17, 2018, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

> "Barbie beer can" sized/shaped caps.

Exactly.

Out here in the woods, the beer-truck comes every day in summer, once a week in winter. And Barbie does not go to the beer store every day.

Barbie needs a beer keg to store beer between re-fills.

Say she needs a liter of beer a day.

A 10 liter keg would cover a full week plus.

But here, if there is a blizzard, or a Phish concert, the beer truck is late.

Barbie looks in the Keg Katalog and sees that a 20 liter keg does not cost much more than a 10 liter keg. That would cover several weeks.

Does she care if the keg is "exactly" the marked size? It could be some less or considerably more.

If the pedal powered with a battery, that would be like an ever-flowing beer spring. No storage needed.

But we often power from the wall. Power comes as an alternating wave, we need a steady flow. Simple conversion gives 100/120Hz spikes, which are easily audible in audio systems. Small audio often needs additional filtering for a steady supply. A "keg of current" which does not vary as much as the "DC" derived from raw wall-power.

And like Barbie's beer, we only need "enough", there's no hard maximum size for a filter cap. More is better. Except more costs more and takes more space.

_Me_, looking at the 100 Ohms feeding the filter cap, _I_ would pencil 100uFd minimum. 100r+22uFd is 75Hz, which is not much filtering on 100/120hz buzz. However space may be a limit. Or the Designer may not have some of the crappy "DC" supplies I have used.
  • SUPPORTER

ljudsystem

Quote from: EBK on December 19, 2018, 09:23:33 AM
Quote from: Dolmetscher007 on December 18, 2018, 05:13:09 PM
It did occur to me after I asked question 1 above, that I do not know how on Earth anyone would point-to-point wire an effects pedal anyway. My confusions came from... if you do not have a printed circuit board made up, nor the ability or budget to make one or get one made... what options do you have? I imagine that one of the above items is that option. Yeah?
Where there is imagination, there are always options.  :icon_wink:

This project is almost two years old now.  :icon_eek:  I'm going to send the enclosure to my brother for painting (painting this has been much harder than soldering the circuit) so I can pick it up again and hopefully finish it.

:icon_surprised: Wow! That is beautiful!

Dolmetscher007

Quote from: ljudsystem on December 20, 2018, 06:50:40 AM

Where there is imagination, there are always options.  :icon_wink:

Hey @ljudsystem, that thing is incredible. Now... OF F*****G COURSE you are going to have to tell me who built that? are there pictures of it being built? a tutorial? steps? schematic? sound demo? anything...?

I am 99.99% sure that I, personally, will never attempt to actually build it, but I do think that if I could read, see, hear more about it, I was learn a lot. Plus... it's just a damn work of modern art!!! As a self-proclaimed visual artist, my curiosity it hella-peaked!!!

Any details?

bluebunny

Quote from: Dolmetscher007 on December 20, 2018, 11:00:08 AM
Hey @ljudsystem, that thing is incredible. Now... OF F*****G COURSE you are going to have to tell me who built that? are there pictures of it being built? a tutorial? steps? schematic? sound demo? anything...?

I believe it's Eric's - introduced to the world here (read the whole thread: it's fascinating).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on December 20, 2018, 11:45:27 AM
I believe it's Eric's - introduced to the world here (read the whole thread: it's fascinating).
Yes it's mine, but before you click, you should know that the linked thread needs a NSFW warning. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on December 20, 2018, 11:52:58 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on December 20, 2018, 11:45:27 AM
Yes it's mine, but before you click, you should know that the linked thread needs a NSFW warning.

OP has already admitted to far worse in the privacy of his own bed.   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Dolmetscher007

Quote from: EBK on December 20, 2018, 11:52:58 AM...the linked thread needs a NSFW warning.

Oooo... glad you said something. I AM actually at work right now. Usually am BTW.

Is it NSFW due to language or photographs?

EBK

Quote from: Dolmetscher007 on December 20, 2018, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: EBK on December 20, 2018, 11:52:58 AM...the linked thread needs a NSFW warning.

Oooo... glad you said something. I AM actually at work right now. Usually am BTW.

Is it NSFW due to language or photographs?
Language.  Mostly innuendo and euphemism, but occasionally more direct.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.