News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Klone

Started by BillyTex, December 19, 2018, 02:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyTex

Hello everyone, I finished an Aion Refractor (Klon) last night and I am having the following issue:

When the volume and gain knobs are maxed, the treble knob starts to produce a high pitch squeal starting at nearly max, and intensifying as the knob is maxed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

EBK

With a Klon, you can only pick two knobs at most to crank to the max.  What you are experiencing is very common with that circuit.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Mark Hammer

Possible you are using a charge pump with a lower clock frequency, like a 7660?  I've experienced similar whines when using them in circuits tht expect to have a reasonably wide bandwidth.

abakuzam

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 19, 2018, 03:19:44 PM
Possible you are using a charge pump with a lower clock frequency, like a 7660?  I've experienced similar whines when using them in circuits tht expect to have a reasonably wide bandwidth.

When i was building a Klon circuit for myself, i had a similiar whining, i tried tc1044scpa, 7660scpa , still same problem, then i found a different source to buy ( locally ) 7660scpa, the ones which making the pedal whine were also 7660scpa, so i bought around 20 7660scpa ( 0.66 USD each! ) and no of them were problematic, so i found out markings on the IC's were different, faint ones was whining, ones with more readable markings were perfect for the application, maybe that's the problem if it's 7660s version.

Here is the picture of them, left one worked perfectly, all 20 of them. I had 5 of the right ones, they all caused whining.

BillyTex

Thanks for replying everyone. I am using the 1044 charge pump at the moment, but will try the 7660.

AdamM

You could, temporarily, wire two 9v batteries in series and leave out the charge pump voltage doubler. That way, you can at least rule the charge pump in or out as your root cause.

Batteries will pretty much always give you the quietest/cleanest supply rails.

thermionix

The Klon runs on +9V, -9V, and +18V.  Not impossible, but tricky to do with batteries.  I guess you would need three 9V batteries.