Transistors: My FAQ

Started by Dolmetscher007, December 19, 2018, 09:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolmetscher007

In the BOM of my first project, under Transistors, it lists the following:

BC169b, BC546, 2N5088, etc -- NPN Transistor

Any tips or idea about what this mean? It lists three different products and then "etc."?

And what does NPN mean?

EBK

There are two broad categories of transistors we typically deal with for pedal building:
Bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field effect transistors (FETs).

BJTs can be either NPN or PNP.  You can think of these like polarities, if you like.  They describe the stack of semiconductor material that creates the transistor.  If several options are listed in your BOM, you can pick any one of those and get the results that are intended (i.e., they are more or less the same for this purpose).

This probably doesn't answer your question very well, but it is a start at least.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Quote from: Dolmetscher007 on December 19, 2018, 09:11:01 PM
Any tips or idea about what this mean? It lists three different products and then "etc."?

It means that for this particular circuit it really doesn't matter.  Pick one (your wallet may guide you).  You may find the 2Nxxxx ones are more readily available in the US.  Be aware, though, that the pinouts will vary, so check the datasheet for the one you select!

And what does NPN mean?

Bipolar Junction Transistor   <-- Click, read, absorb.  Then click on some of the other links at the bottom of the page under "Electronnic components".
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...