The ultimate place to buy a variety of wire colors?

Started by Kevin Mitchell, December 20, 2018, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

Hey gang. I'm working up a big project (as some of you know) and was hoping I could source some specific wire colors. I'm looking for AWG-24 solid core striped wires (mostly white with a colored line on them) I need about 6 different striped wires and I'm not sure of a reliable source that sells them.

Of course I could get around this or neglect the consistency of my project. But I'd like to know my options and what the pricing looks like. I just don't know where to look right now!

FIY - this project consists of about 16 different wire colors  :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Kevin Mitchell

Maybe I'd be better off putting together a rig with a sharpie that draws a line down the wires as it spools through. That might seem unnecessary but I'm just weighing out my options.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Darn! If you didn't need solid core then I could hook you up perfectly.

Good luck with the search  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 20, 2018, 11:38:59 AM
Darn! If you didn't need solid core then I could hook you up perfectly.

Good luck with the search  ;D
Woah woah hey now. Do share   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

italianguy63

Sounds like you need the guts of CAT5 network wire.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

PRR

Yes. CAT5/6 is eight different colors, really four pair. It is super cheap in 500 foot reels. If you know the right people, pedal-size scraps are free. In-wall CAT cable is solid, patch-cable is stranded.
  • SUPPORTER

boppy100

Note that a lot of patch cables are copper clad aluminum, and for me have been more fragile than solid

PMowdes

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

italianguy63

Quote from: PRR on December 20, 2018, 08:27:52 PM
Yes. CAT5/6 is eight different colors, really four pair. It is super cheap in 500 foot reels. If you know the right people, pedal-size scraps are free. In-wall CAT cable is solid, patch-cable is stranded.

8 colors... 4 will be white with stripes, the other 4 solid color.  Brown, Orange, Blue, Green...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: PMowdes on December 21, 2018, 03:38:42 AM
Which side of the pond?
US

One wouldn't think finding specific wire colors would be so difficult  ::)

Allot of the CAT5 wire photos I'm seeing are two solid colored wires twined together.
  • SUPPORTER

italianguy63

Kevin Mitchell

Oh. One solid and one with a colored strip. My bad  :icon_lol:

I just split a network cable from the storage closet. I didn't realize how thin 24 gauge wiring was  (~.5mm!!!) :icon_redface:

Well... that's 8 colors I could use. Thanks guys!
  • SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Now I know what to look for. Alpha Wire seems to manufacture what I need though it's more than $25 for a spool of 100ft. I do not need that much! 25ft each would likely be too much as well.

I'm looking around for these colors;
(these 4 I can find in the network cables)
W/GREEN
W/BROWN
W/BLUE
W/ORANGE

W/YELLOW
W/RED
W/GRAY
w/BLACK
w/VIOLET
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

You can buy an old Moog synth and just rob the wires out of that.  ;D

Kevin Mitchell

• SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Seems it's more trouble than it's worth to be so consistent. I'll learn to live with it  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

italianguy63

I could probably find you that-- but solid colors... not striped.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: italianguy63 on December 21, 2018, 01:08:02 PM
I could probably find you that-- but solid colors... not striped.
I've found a multitude of sources for colored 24 gauge wires. It's the white ones with a colored stripe that are the nail biter.
  • SUPPORTER

italianguy63

I'm going to my surplus place on Jan. 4th... I will look for you.

If I find it, how many feet do you need?
MC