Asking suppliers/stores to use less plastic for your order.

Started by Snufkinoob, December 20, 2018, 11:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

Odd post I know. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the OT Lounge but thought it would get more attention here.

Just wanted to say that I've been ordering from Bits Box (UK) for a long while, and like other suppliers and online shops they've always been in the habit of bagging every single item, even if it's a single transistor. Since the use of plastics has been in the news more lately it gave me a kick up the arse to just leave a note with them asking to use as little plastic packaging for my order as possible. That I can work out all the different resistor and cap values myself etc. And they obliged! My most recent order was even better. Just a single bag with everything in it.

Just wanted to put this out there. You might think it's a drop in the ocean, but an ocean is just a collection of drops, and positive action doesn't cost anything, and hopefully might make the other person start taking action without prompting. Besides that, since they're not having to bag and label everything, you might get your order made quicker!

Having said all that, maybe it turns out these little bags are biodegradable, so it's not worth it on the environmental front, but I'd still do it anyway since I really don't need dozens of little bags every time. Total waste of time and effort to all concerned  :icon_lol:

EBK

I've sometimes wondered if asking them to use fewer bags might make their job(s) harder. They might end up bagging everything first as part of a standardized parts-grabbing process then have to unbag them later (throwing the bags in the garbage can nearest the shipping area) to satisfy such a request. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Good idea.  I have a collection of those small bags that I'm loathed to throw out, coz they'll just end up in landfill.  So they get reused.  I noticed Thonk (SDIY) recently started padding their boxes with, um, "springy paper" - instead of the more usual bubble-wrap.  Perhaps just a simple, small piece of paper wrapped around parts might be an idea to avoid sorting out a huge order?  I have a separate parts bin for larger bits that go into amps; I store the individual caps and resistors in paper wage envelopes.  Eco-friendly and you can easily write on them.  And they sit in a cardboard CD storage box.

Anyway, I'll remember to ask Bob to go easy on the plastic when I order next.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

Yeah.. I have big bins... and I recycle the ziplock bags, packing popcorn, bubble wrap, and those air bags.  Lots of times small shipping boxes too.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

thermionix

-

BluffChill

I hate this too! It doesn't seem worth asking if you're buying say a single transistor from an eBay seller, but my next Farnell order would be a damn sight more fun to unpack if it all came in one giant bag. I'd actually love sorting it all out. At home my storage includes old spice jars, yoghurt pots, gift tins, as well as the standard parts drawers. I never throw away a box, and I reuse any of the little baggies for kits when I sell them!
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

patrick398

I've got so many little plastic bags i've had to start selling drugs just to get rid of them

ljudsystem

I've used mine to store catnip in for my feline friends  ;D

but, seriously, good idea. Mother earth doesn't need any more plastic waste.

Rob Strand

QuoteJust wanted to say that I've been ordering from Bits Box (UK) for a long while, and like other suppliers and online shops they've always been in the habit of bagging every single item, even if it's a single transistor.
At the end of the day I think it's just easier for them. 
However I can see different sides to the story.

As hobbyist I hate separately packaged stuff.   For my case only, I don't buy a lot of stuff these days so the few bags I get I keep and use.   I do remember one supplier using a continuous bag (more  like a tube) and they would heat seal lines to separate items.  Obviously this takes work and someone has to decide what to put in what cells.  Larger parts were put in the same tube but were in separate cells from smaller parts.  Some parts got put in the same cell.  Human effort and thought went into it.  When I look at the final amount of plastic it was less than the small bags but once you tear the tube you can't use the bag for anything.

As a professional, you don't want parts put together because that increases the risk of mix-ups.  Also many companies store the parts in the small bags provided.   I have had to investigate mix-ups at PCB assemblers where someone has emptied the bags into the wrong storage bins at the site.  In one case someone put a different type of TO-220 regulator in a bin of TO-220 regulators.  Whoever did it just saw regulator and didn't think about it much more as it looked the same the ones in there.   You don't pick-up that issue until you test the boards and it creates a lot of backlash paper work.

For large orders you don't get bags you get tubes, trays and original packaging.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.