Tonebender MkI More Bass

Started by Mcentee2, December 21, 2018, 04:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcentee2

Have a Tonebender MkI that currently has standard cap values in, from input to output:

0.01uF input
25uF between Q1 and Q2
0.1uF between Q2 and Q3
0.1uF Output

Although it probably is a "true" TB MkI sound, it is a little thin for me - what is the easiest way to get more bass from it ?

Do I need to tweak all the caps larger, or will just one of them do the trick ?

antonis

Hard to say without schematic..

Supposing series configuration for all caps, you have to deal with respective resistors (impedances) to find out their individual HPF cut-off frequencies, lower the higher of them and check for possible "overlap" with the closer unaltered.. 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mcentee2

Quote from: antonis on December 21, 2018, 06:34:05 AM
Hard to say without schematic..

Supposing series configuration for all caps, you have to deal with respective resistors (impedances) to find out their individual HPF cut-off frequencies, lower the higher of them and check for possible "overlap" with the closer unaltered..

This is the "standard" TB Mk I here that I have  seen on a few posts so far in DIYSB  threads:

http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/tone%20bender%20mk1.jpg

Just tried some caps out - anything more than the 0.1uF does add more bass progressively.

1uF seems a sweet spot, at 10uF however starting to hear creeping in a "capacitor charging delay" after heavy chords. The cap seems to be "used up" then take up to half a second or so to recharge and start passing signal again - quiet then normal hiss creeps back in.