Where can you buy those surrounds for 9mm pots?

Started by Mark Hammer, December 22, 2018, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I'm seeing more pedals pop up using the inexpensive little black/clear plastic shaft 9mm pots, with rubber surrounds on the shaft, to let them function like knobs, without  having to use knobs and the space they require.  Where can one buy these things?

Fabeii

I've never seen those 'knobs' but the first things that popped in my mind is: acrylic -> CNC
If you have or can use a CNC machine you can buy a sheet of acrylic and cut them, knobs for days!

stallik

They look more like silicone rings to me. Nice idea - I'll watch this space
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Fabeii

Quote from: stallik on December 22, 2018, 04:11:25 PM
They look more like silicone rings to me. Nice idea - I'll watch this space

Yes, silicon would be even better because they are going to grip better on the shaft.
Probably you can still DIY-fy them castin silicon rubber into a simple mold.
Cork wood could be an easy way to experiment as you can get a sheet of any dimension or thickness

smallbearelec

Mark--

I went to the Sonicake website, figuring that this was a U.S. independent that had something made for them. Then I saw the prices of the pedals and thought: No F'ing way are those made here! Click to the Contact page:

SONICAKE Technology Ltd.
Hunan University Science Park East Building 204
No. 186, Guyuan Rd.
Changsha, Hunan, China

What fooled me at first is that the English of their web site is Not the badly translated hash of so many other Chinese stores. I think these guys did a seriously good job of localizing. As far as that "collar", it's definitely a clever idea that they had tooling made for and some local factory execute. Note that they had them made in several colors. It's something I could get cloned given a couple of samples. Might be worth looking into, because they are likely much cheaper than ABS knobs. I have written to the Sonicake support address and asked if they will sell, as I would much rather buy something ready-made if the price is reasonable.

BTW, Happy 2019!

SD

GGBB

I'm wondering if a diy solution might be some silicon medical tubing that is so often used for pickup height adjustment. I know it can be found in varying thicknesses and inner diameters.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Quote from: smallbearelec on December 22, 2018, 11:41:01 PM
Mark--

I went to the Sonicake website, figuring that this was a U.S. independent that had something made for them. Then I saw the prices of the pedals and thought: No F'ing way are those made here! Click to the Contact page:

SONICAKE Technology Ltd.
No. 186, Guyuan Rd.
Changsha, Hunan, China

What fooled me at first is that the English of their web site is Not the badly translated hash of so many other Chinese stores. I think these guys did a seriously good job of localizing. As far as that "collar", it's definitely a clever idea that they had tooling made for and some local factory execute. Note that they had them made in several colors. It's something I could get cloned given a couple of samples. Might be worth looking into, because they are likely much cheaper than ABS knobs. I have written to the Sonicake support address and asked if they will sell, as I would much rather buy something ready-made if the price is reasonable.

BTW, Happy 2019!

SD
Hi to you and Judy.  :icon_biggrin:  Hope all is well.  We're in Orillia for the annual pilgrimage to the in-laws.  I was planning on writing to you about these things but I guess you saw the post first.  They seem to be basically the same idea as the black foam collars seen on MXR pedal fluted knobs.

smallbearelec

We are fine, thanks! Safe travels to you and Mary-Anne! Of course, I will advise what I find out on these parts.

GGBB

Quote from: smallbearelec on December 22, 2018, 11:41:01 PM
SONICAKE Technology Ltd.
No. 186, Guyuan Rd.
Changsha, Hunan, China

I think possibly Sonicake is the same company as Hotone and Valeton (other brands that Sonicake sells). The address for Hotone is Hunan University Science Park East Block Room 201, and Hotone has the same ICP registration as Valeton: 湘ICP备16010924号.

I had a conversation with the owner of a small shop in Toronto whom I've dealt with for decades about Hotone a couple of years ago. He related how their main designer (was likely the company founder - but recollection is fading) came over to meet with dealers in Toronto (and presumably elsewhere in N.A.) to find out what customers were looking for. The shop owner - who has been in the business since the 70s and has probably seen it all - seemed quite impressed by Hotone's hands-on approach to product research, and by his detailed knowledge of what makes the classic designs of guitar gear sound the way they do.

If they are related, it fits that they would get the localization thing right.
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

How about surgical tubing? Slip it over and trim with a razor.

Easy peasy. :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Mark Hammer

Looking at some of their ads, I think Tech 21 uses similar things for their small multi-FX "strips".  At least the way they are photographed, it appears that way.

cjlectronics

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 22, 2018, 02:54:36 PM
Where can one buy these things?

I called the guy I know at Tech 21. Yea, the material is silicone rubber tubing, and they had them cut to size. I have bought for stock:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/collar-for-9mm-pots/

Regards
SD

Mark Hammer