adding a low pass to a fuzzface/ with STUPID PEDAL TRICK

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 07, 2019, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi, wanna trim off just a little bit of bass off a ff circuit.

yeah, i know, smaller caps for more treble. but i don't WANT more treble, just a little less bass.

looking at the circuit, <one of my own variants> i have several places i could slide a "treble peaker" in with a simple rc network.

i can figure out the values to work with easy enough, or simply make it with a trimmer or a 9mm pot to be able to "sweep" as a user adjustment...
doesn't need to be all that profound or anything.

but looking at it.. and deciding where it may have the best effect, it seems to me either hacking it in between c of q1 and b of q2 may be useful, but thats mostly current amplification going on there, isn't it? not audio?

forgive my dumb questions. ;) there will be many more, likely ;)

or should i stick it on the end, before the output cap?

i'm thinking a 50k pot wired as a variable resistor with a cap, say 2.2n-3.9n should get me there <breadboarding experiences of the past for values, on my guitars i use a B500k pot and a .0022uF cap for bass cut,  but since the most useable part of the sweep is about 10% i figure a 50k pot inline should work for my purpose, and am guestimating an r/c network of about 15-22k and 2.7n will end up about right>

i'm already using a 500k pot for the output so i don't think an added 50k resistance in series should matter too much hopefully.

but then the question remains... i don't wanna @#$% with the tone i have now... just trim a tiny bit of bass off it... so it definitely needs to be AFTER the lions share of the circuit, right?

or should i maybe think of bypassing the e to ground resistor of q1 with a biggish @#$%in cap? i tried a 10uf there and it gave it a bit more bite, but also a bit more fuzz.

or should i reduce the fuzz pot electro from the stock 22uF to 10uF?

just looking for advice on a quick n dirty "guerilla guitar" approach. don't wanna have to redesign the wheel!!

the circuit in question is in the members only part of the forum. i don't know about posting stuff publically here anymore after a few nefarious experiences in the past.

for all intents, its a si ff with  variable cap on the input, 100k series resistance on the input,  e-ground resistors on both stages to limit the gain from the q's. other than a couple resistor values, the rest is pretty much a stock FF.

me? i'm thinking adding a treble peaker with like, around a 27k resistor and a 2.7n cap  between q2 and the output cap ought to get me there... but curious to hear others thoughts.

here's a stupid pedal tricks video. beware foul language and low brow humor.

both abound in spades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bnvDYfOINc&feature=em-comments

i think you'll get a good laugh outta the "serious sustain" part.  who needs a whammy bar?
<i do, lol.... i got bowen handles or stetsbars on everything they'll fit on, lol, retrofit weird old ones with teisco del ray trems, you name it. lol.  i just put a freekin maestro vibrola on one of my firebirds ffs... fuzz and wiggle sticks. mmmmm.....>

so anyways... i don't need more treble, i need less bass! :)

thanks friends. rock on!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

I am digging the "viking helmet", Jimi.  I'd ask my son to knit me one, but he still owes me one of those Billy Gibbons "Nudu" hats, so I won't push my luck.

pinkjimiphoton

its the bestest gift i ever got, my girl gineen made it for me for xmas/yule.

i can sing like elmer fudd singing kill the Wabbit, kill the WABbit kill the WABBBBITTTttt with conviction now.

ok. fixed my problem. how did i do it?

well, i got low pass filters on all my guitars so i can dial in bass. i wanted to add the same thing to the fuzzface circuit, so after trying a bunch of suggestions i found searching the archives, i decided the easiest way to fly was a B50k pot with a 2.2n cap across the thing as a variable resistor to cut a little bass, and tried to add it in series in various parts of the circuit. didn't work out so well, tho got some amusing results twiddling the knobs.

so i went to a 250k output pot to increase the clarity.  it lost the ability to overdrive as much without the fuzz... now, pegged, with the fuzz pot off its a hair above unity instead of twice or more. it was  LOUD. that helped.

back to the pot... i figured the simplest thing to do was a treble peaker circuit like ya would use in a guitar amp circuit. i figured 50k pot cuz that was about 1/10th of the 500k pots, and thats about the bass cut i like..  so i figured, easier, try a resistor and a cap.

100k/2.2n as an RC was good. 75k/2.2n was a clear winner out of the values i tried down to 33k, at which point it didn't really seem to help... this gave a nice clear-er fuzz, the sweep between input caps was a little less drastic. it sounded plain good, of course, in an overdrivey way... but i kinda liked the phatness it had that it had lost.

so the treble peaker fell out of favor in favor of ultimately a B500k pot wired as a variable resistor with a 2.2n cap wired between the wiper and input so it increases bass content as turned clockwise <i know its not increasing it, but most folks can't get beyond the idea of turning something down lol> in series with the INPUT of the variable cap at the input. so now theres a total of 600k resistance, which brings up the input impedance enough to give it some needed brilliance and it still has plenty of balls.

so now its fuzz, input sweep, bass cut/boost and volume.

plays nice with tele strat and les paul. even tried it with a teisco delray ea30st <ha, try and find one> and it was ok.

i'm getting multi overtoned feedback. chords. its sick. between the input variable cap and the bass cut, ya can really get on top of stuff.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr