Do you "colour-code" your wiring?

Started by Mark Hammer, January 05, 2019, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

QuoteThe short version: I emphasized that they were being tested on their ability to understand the code, not their ability to discern the colors.  I used to do just fine reading the color bands on beige 5% tolerance
resistors, but I almost never trust myself reading the blue 1% ones.

I like your teaching style.  Memorizing stuff is a waist of time.  I read the resistors by sight as a whole.  I don't even think about the colors.  That's not an achievement.   It's a product of looking at the stupid things for the 45 years or so.

There's nothing wrong with using a meter.  It's only a slight inconvenience.   Reading codes is good if you are looking at parts on a board because in that case you can't trust the meter to measure it correctly in circuit.

At work we had SMD resistors which were *not* marked with the value but with another code like AE5.   Total pain in the butt.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

"Chroma deficient" is not really disrespectful, just confusing to those unfamiliar with more technical terms.  And, given that there are several varieties of "chroma deficiency" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness ), depending on what sorts of cones are less plentiful, it's probably more appropriate to talk about "spectral dips".

One of the profs in a department I was working in years ago had an unspecified (at least to me) form of colour-blindness.  Apparently, he and his wife had worked out a numerical coding system that let him know what articles of clothing would "go" with what others.  He was a pretty snappy dresser, I must say, so I gather it was a good coding system.  Either that, or every attempt to leave the house began with "You're not going out dressed like that, are you?".

Though irrelevant to identifying resistors, there is a taste equivalent as well, referred to as "taste blindness".  Some folks cannot detect certain tastes, primarily certain bitter tastes.

EBK

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 09, 2019, 08:08:07 PM
"Chroma deficient" is not really disrespectful
My point exactly (assuming you are commenting on my linked post).  My wife runs a training programming for ophthalmic technicians.  She has trained me to say chroma deficient instead of color blind.  Also, on a similar note, "legally blind" is not used any more, the modern accepted (and more accurate) terminology being "low vision".
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Mark Hammer

"Chroma balance" was a typical control on colour CRT televisions, and would adjust the relative intensity of the red, blue, and green guns.

bluebunny

"You're not going out dressed like that, are you?"
"taste blindness"

I thought these were the same thing!   ;D   At least, according to my daughter...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on January 10, 2019, 06:39:39 AM
"You're not going out dressed like that, are you?"
"taste blindness"

I thought these were the same thing!   ;D   At least, according to my daughter...

there was a snippet in the paper of a conversation overheard in a fitting-room - "I'm not going to tell you how you look, I want us to remain on speaking terms."
don't make me draw another line.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: duck_arse on January 10, 2019, 09:08:25 AM
there was a snippet in the paper of a conversation overheard in a fitting-room - "I'm not going to tell you how you look, I want us to remain on speaking terms."
One of my neighbours down the street became a cabinet minister over the summer.  We chat whenever I would run into her (which is much less frequent now), but we NEVER talk politics.  That's how we remain neighbours.