I've designed a Filter Pedal for Bass

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, January 09, 2019, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've posted. I just finished a new pedal that I've been working on and decided to share it with you guys. It's a very simple design with only a few parts. If you want to change the sound of the filter you can change the diode and value of the 4,7 nf cap. I prefer both the 2,2 nf and 4,7 nf on a switch. The 1n4148 give the most clean result. The 10k pot tames the filter intensity. You can abandon it completely if you like mayhem. I can create synth like tones (play with the 4,7 nf cap) and even some funky stuff.

The enclosure is tiny. Was a real adventure to make it fit. Enjoy!

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

deadastronaut

brilliant, great simple design..nice work man, sounds great... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

FUZZZZzzzz

thanks! i'm indeed very happy with it. it's also very quiet when you're not playing.

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

ElectricDruid

It looks like a synced oscillator circuit. If I was feeling pedantic, I'd have to argue with the description of the circuit as a "filter", but luckily I'm not feeling pedantic so I can just let it go and sit over here and do some breathing exercises...breathe....breathe...breathe...;)

Rob Strand

Extremely cool design.  I was playing around EQ'ing the output and there's a lot of sounds in there.

Where did you get the idea for diode and 4n7?   It's not a normal thing to do.

I heard this track a few months back (Synthy bass comes in a 0:30).   I wonder if your circuit can help get that sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLGFfnCZDg
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 14, 2019, 05:59:35 PM
It looks like a synced oscillator circuit. If I was feeling pedantic, I'd have to argue with the description of the circuit as a "filter", but luckily I'm not feeling pedantic so I can just let it go and sit over here and do some breathing exercises...breathe....breathe...breathe...;)

Sorry, but if I had called her Barbara it would be even more misleading ;)

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 14, 2019, 06:13:38 PM
Extremely cool design.  I was playing around EQ'ing the output and there's a lot of sounds in there.

Feel free to design an amazing EQ section for it. ;)

Where did you get the idea for diode and 4n7?   It's not a normal thing to do.

The idea for the diode and 4n7 (2n2 is even weirder) is just based on trial and error. I just like to play around and try different stuff. Most of them is textbook, but the other half is experimental just like that diode and cap.

I heard this track a few months back (Synthy bass comes in a 0:30).   I wonder if your circuit can help get that sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLGFfnCZDg

I will listen to it later and tell you.

rankot

Does it have to be LM567, or I can use LMC567?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

FUZZZZzzzz

Suppose so. Ive used ka567 / ne567 and lm567 before. Please let me know if it works

Marcos - Munky

Firstly I thought this was something similar to Hemmo's Noise 567:

But yours is different. For example, your frequency cap is between pins 2 and 3, while Hemmo's between pin 6 and ground. A suggestion to try from Hemmo's one is to get the output from pin 2 instead of pin 1.

Also, Tim Escobedo have a modified version of Hemmo's circuit called Thing Modulator, where he stated a LMC567 would reduce oscillation bleeds when the effect is bypassed. So an LMC567 probably will works great on this one.

Could you draw a schematic of yours? I know it's a simple design, but my mind can't understand vero layouts.

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

I compared the schematic to the layout and it seems correct. I'll draw a layout for a 1590A later.

FUZZZZzzzz

Ive build the ring modulator years ago. Its very noise. This design is very quiet even with normal 567 ics like lm567 ne567 ka567. The sound is also nothing like the thing modulator.

Thanks for the schematic!!!

Marcos - Munky

Well, didn't made a 1590A layout, but the guys at Efffects Layouts made one:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019/01/bass-filter-pedal.html
It should be an easy fit in a 1590A.

bluesdevil

Very cool and easy build! I have that chip stashed away somewhere and this will be a good excuse to dig it out.
Thanks for sharing.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on January 17, 2019, 03:03:30 PM
Well, didn't made a 1590A layout, but the guys at Efffects Layouts made one:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019/01/bass-filter-pedal.html
It should be an easy fit in a 1590A.

I see they've added a 100 uf cap in the power section. Has anyone, besides me, build this pedal?

rankot

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on January 18, 2019, 04:17:12 AM
I see they've added a 100 uf cap in the power section. Has anyone, besides me, build this pedal?

No I didn't, but I will :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

DDD

Surprisingly simple schematic based on the not so simple theory.
It's a real masterpiece!
Thanks for sharing!
*** By the by I'm sure that serial BLUE LED instead of the 7806 will do the same work perfectly, giving a bright indicator light as a bonus.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

rutabaga bob

Nice, simple, easy circuit - but mine's not working.  Used an audio probe...there is no signal at either pin 2 or pin5.  Triple-checked against the schematic and all looks right.  Possible toasted chip?
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper