I've designed a Filter Pedal for Bass

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, January 09, 2019, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

I've build a few last week with ne567 and ka567. All from the layout above and they all work. Which 567 type did you use? Maybe yours is indeed broken. Let me know if theres something unclear and I will do my best to assist.
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

rutabaga bob

I've got LMC567CM's...which I think are CMOS.  Perhaps it got zapped.  I'm preparing to order some plain 567's to try out.  Thanks!
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

snk

Quote from: DDD on January 19, 2019, 05:28:47 AMI'm sure that serial BLUE LED instead of the 7806 will do the same work perfectly, giving a bright indicator light as a bonus.
How would you wire it, given that the led has 2 lugs, and the regulator 3 ?

rankot

In series from V+ to Vcc pin of the IC. It must have 3.0V voltage drop to work that way.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

snk

snk

Hello,
I've been suggested to put a booster in front of that effect (which I haven't built yet), so i made this little layout, trying to merge the original circuit with a JHS minibomb.
The good thing is that now you can dial in both the right input & output levels.

I think the "merging" is quite ok, but i am unsure about the fact that now some component are not mandatory (since it is "two in one")...
Does anyone think the layout is ok ?

duck_arse

most people here hate reading veroboard, so if you show your circuit for that board, it will help us all much to say correct or not.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

snk

Quote from: duck_arse on March 31, 2019, 10:00:18 AMmost people here hate reading veroboard, so if you show your circuit for that board, it will help us all much to say correct or not.
Sorry, Im' not sure i understand what you mean (The original layout is also a veroboard, not a schematic) ?
I just took the original layout, and tried to merge it with a booster layout, so i do not have a schematic.

rankot

You don't need 1M or 100k resistor, they are just put in parallel.

This shall be the correct schematic (using blue LED instead of LM78L06):
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

snk

Thank you, Rankot.

So, if i read your schematic correctly, I should remove the 1M resistor, and keep the 100K ?
Also, I see only 4 caps on your schematic, while the "dual" layout (gathering a booster + the filter) should have 7 : 3x100nF, 1x4.7nF and 3 electro : 1µF, 22µF, 100µF.
Should I then remove the 100nF cap (going to 567's pin#3), as well as the 22µF and 100µF electrolytics ?

rankot

If I have read this vero correctly, 100uF and 22uF are in parallel and used for power filtering, so you don't need 22uF cause 100uF will do the job.

You also don't need two of 100n coupling caps, one is quite sufficient, so yes, you can remove 100n and 1M in top part of a vero and set the green line to connect points I2 and E4.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

duck_arse

Quote from: snk on March 31, 2019, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on March 31, 2019, 10:00:18 AMmost people here hate reading veroboard, so if you show your circuit for that board, it will help us all much to say correct or not.
Sorry, Im' not sure i understand what you mean (The original layout is also a veroboard, not a schematic) ?
I just took the original layout, and tried to merge it with a booster layout, so i do not have a schematic.

what you showed is a veroboard layout. and you've added something to the original circuit, so what I wanted was a new circuit diagram, containing what you've added and what it's been added to. the fet gate was bothering me, is all. [I'd say you should take that now spare cap and put it in the hot/CW lug of the gain pot, with the now spare 1M as a pulldown.]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

snk

Quote from: duck_arse on April 01, 2019, 09:23:22 AMwhat I wanted was a new circuit diagram, containing what you've added and what it's been added to.
Ok. I took this (the original was a veroboard) :

And this (left circuit) :

And tried to merge them.

Quote from: duck_arse on April 01, 2019, 09:23:22 AMthe fet gate was bothering me, is all. [I'd say you should take that now spare cap and put it in the hot/CW lug of the gain pot, with the now spare 1M as a pulldown.]
Thank you for the tip.
Is this to avoid crackles when turning the gain knob ?

QuoteIf I have read this vero correctly, 100uF and 22uF are in parallel and used for power filtering, so you don't need 22uF cause 100uF will do the job.
You also don't need two of 100n coupling caps, one is quite sufficient, so yes, you can remove 100n and 1M in top part of a vero and set the green line to connect points I2 and E4.
Thank you, Rankot. I updated my layout (i moved a couple parts, in order to make it more compact), i hope it is correct.

rankot

Yes, I guess it's fine. I will try to breadboard this tomorrow.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

snk

Thank you for your tips.
I will do, too, but i haven't received my 567 yet, so i won't be able to try it until a while.

By the way, i made an even more compact layout, with a 2PDT to switch between 3capacitor values for the filter (instead of 2 on the original design).
If you breadboard it, I would be curious to know your thoughts about different diodes and cap values...

rankot

I suggest you to switch places of diode and blue jumper, if you put diode like this, it will not be possible to mount trim pot.

Also, with this kind of DPDT and capacitor arangement, you will have two different capacitances: 1n1 and 1n5. Is that what you want?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

snk

QuoteAlso, with this kind of DPDT and capacitor arangement, you will have two different capacitances: 1n1 and 1n5. Is that what you want?
Doh ! You're right : i wired them in series, just as if it was resistors  :icon_redface:
No, this is not what i want : i will come back to my initial setup (with a 1PDT, and without the 2.2nF cap).

FUZZZZzzzz

you could also try a rotary switch if you want to experiment. one for the diodes and leds and one for the different caps.

https://www.musikding.de/Rotary-switch-1P12T-sealed

gives you 12 options.. could be pretty crazy
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

snk

Hi, Fuzzzz.
I had thought about that (i have a couple rotatory switches like that). But i think i would rather experiment with various values on the veroboard, and keep the two i like the most :)

snk

I will not have time this week-end for building it, but I should try next week.
@Rankot, did you manage to breadboard it ?