Help troubleshooting DIY Klon kit

Started by John Nada, January 09, 2019, 08:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Nada

Hey guys,

Recently started DIY guitar pedals. Until now it had been going good, my builds all have been working without issues so far, though I'm certainly a newbie and still learning a lot. Now I'm having an issue assembling a Klon kit which I got from AliExpress (Landtone), the same kit which are also sold on eBay and Amazon a lot. These are not my pictures but someone else's, but it gives you an idea of the PCB, since I didn't get in depth instructions or schematics with is: https://imgur.com/a/ok5Tl3D

The issue I have is that I don't get any signal (not engaged nor in bypass) when the pedal is plugged in and the LED is not burning. When the pedal is engaged I only hear an increasing hiss when I turn up the output potmeter, nothing with the other two pots, and a little pop when I turn it on and off. Now this might be two seperate issues, maybe the LED wasn't connected correctly (it's a tight squeeze there), but there is power at the 9v jack input and on the PCB. On the switch there is always power on connections 1 and 4 and when engaged on 2 and 5, never on 3 and 6. After my first try I found out that I had one OP-amp (the single voltage doubler) in the wrong spot and flipped it to the correct position. Only thing that changed after that is that I got rid of a bit of high beep. Apart from that I checked all the components on the PCB and they seem correct.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue, what I can check or how I can continue to troubleshoot? I've been searching the internet for hours now, and though I've seen video's and read posts about people having relateable issues to mine, but they're mostly unclear about what the actual solution to this is.

PRR

Welcome!

> unclear about what the actual solution to this is.

Need to know the problem before looking for a solution. (Often a clear full description of the problem points-to the solution.)

While some electronic problems can be seen, electricity is invisible and we often need to "see" where it is or isn't.

Read Debugging and report.
  • SUPPORTER

John Nada

Thanks PRR, didn't have time to get back at it but I will start checking the chain and report back!