Tape saturation circuit - (need help with Log detector)

Started by manino, January 10, 2019, 04:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manino

Hello friends !
I'm new to this forum  :icon_mrgreen:  i started few weeks ago working on a Tape saturation circuit, and i wonder what do you guys think of it !
The idea is to have a dynamic filter to controlled by the log detector. The distortion circuit can be anything that add a little bit of color and distortion to the sound (soft clipper or tube amp).

i'm currently having trouble with the log detector circuit... if anyone have some ideas on how to get it working and how to match it with the Voltage controlled filter it will be of a great help !
I will keep updating this post with the schematics more schematics.

Peace !

Rob Strand

That tape saturation patent (US5596646A) refers to a log detector patent (US4745309).  Why not just use that as a start?  You can build simple log detectors with diodes and transistors.   "Matching" just means getting the output voltage to match-up with the control element on the low-pass filter.

There was a tape saturation ckt on-line somewhere maybe PAiA.

Try searching the threads as tape saturation has been discussed on this group in the past.

[Edit: you might also find some stuff in the THAT chips datasheets and application notes.]

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

manino

Thank for your answer ! i'm currently trying the log detector circuit in the second patent, and i will post my global circuit simulation soon   :icon_smile: :icon_smile: