Have mammothelectronics gone under?

Started by njkmonty, January 11, 2019, 05:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

i'd guess you're in the 20-30mA range, total.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ice-9

I hope we (UK) get a decent trade deal with the USA once we get the this arse of a EU system. Cos we get raped of the US on imports as it is now and delivery time is stupid. The other way around UK to USA is easy. It shouldn't be a one way street.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 06, 2019, 11:17:33 AM
this is objectively meant to deceive

lol

Quoteand military did protect the country (much as my dog protects me while nothing is threatening me)

Why even have a military if there are no threats?

QuoteObjectively, federal workers missed multiple paychecks while being required to work.

Cry me a damn river.  Buncha bloodsucking leaches.  Leaches who voted 95% for "divided government" back in November.  They got exactly what they voted for.

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 06, 2019, 12:10:31 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 06, 2019, 11:54:08 AM
...the hagfish...

I've been looking for a name for a high-gain distortion I'm working on though, and THE HAGFISH sounds kinda cool 8)
Need some graphics for that?

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on February 06, 2019, 04:35:17 PM
Need some graphics for that?

I love it, unfortunately there won't be enough room on the box for a good graphic like those :( It's my dual rectifier preamp, so three tubes and six pots in a 1590B :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

marcelomd

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 06, 2019, 05:46:05 PM
I love it, unfortunately there won't be enough room on the box for a good graphic like those :( It's my dual rectifier preamp, so three tubes and six pots in a 1590B :P

How the... how do you make it fit? I'd love to see that.

SpencerPedals

Quote from: Ice-9 on February 06, 2019, 02:59:47 PM
I hope we (UK) get a decent trade deal with the USA once we get the this arse of a EU system. Cos we get raped of the US on imports as it is now and delivery time is stupid. The other way around UK to USA is easy. It shouldn't be a one way street.
I would hope that, too.  I had no idea that was an issue.  I ordered a Bare Knuckle pickup last year and had zero issues with the order and shipping.  Quick and easy all around.  I wouldn't have known it was even coming from outside the US if I hadn't placed the order myself.

On the topic of hagfish—I think it would be a great name for a distortion pedal that was both jagged and smooth, depending on settings.  A chorus pedal with a crossover distortion switch?  :o

njkmonty

I dont have a clue what this thread is about now! :)
however my mammoth order arrived!
;D ;D ;D

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Sooner Boomer

Stopped in at Mammoth today after wound care clinic.  They seem a bit....how can I put this charitably..."unorganized".  I was interested in buying two types of kits, a treble booster, and a tube screamer clone.   They're not really set up for walk-in sales - I can understand that.  After a bit of negotiating, I was able to order a J201-based booster.  It's NOT what I wanted, a treble booster.  I didn't realize this until I got home.  I'll build it and see what it sounds like.  I don't think it will be too hard to mod into a high-pass treble booster, if needed.

Two notes:

They only put kits together when they're ordered.  They don't seem to have any ready to ship.  I understand this business model, but you've really got to stay on top of things and be aware of lead times for parts when you run low so you always have them on hand.  They seemed to be out of PCBs for a lot of stuff, and weeks away from receiving any (like the tube screamer kit I wanted).

The cost of the aluminum enclosure is a major fraction of the cost of a kit.  The trade tariffs aren't going to help this any.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

pinkjimiphoton

try my 'weetie pi project. its a treble booster/fuzz/octave up/gated fuzz using common parts that sounds really good.

Quote from: Sooner Boomer on February 06, 2019, 10:57:13 PM
Stopped in at Mammoth today after wound care clinic.  They seem a bit....how can I put this charitably..."unorganized".  I was interested in buying two types of kits, a treble booster, and a tube screamer clone.   They're not really set up for walk-in sales - I can understand that.  After a bit of negotiating, I was able to order a J201-based booster.  It's NOT what I wanted, a treble booster.  I didn't realize this until I got home.  I'll build it and see what it sounds like.  I don't think it will be too hard to mod into a high-pass treble booster, if needed.

Two notes:

They only put kits together when they're ordered.  They don't seem to have any ready to ship.  I understand this business model, but you've really got to stay on top of things and be aware of lead times for parts when you run low so you always have them on hand.  They seemed to be out of PCBs for a lot of stuff, and weeks away from receiving any (like the tube screamer kit I wanted).

The cost of the aluminum enclosure is a major fraction of the cost of a kit.  The trade tariffs aren't going to help this any.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: njkmonty on February 06, 2019, 10:18:04 PM
;D ;D ;D

yay!!!!!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Sooner Boomer

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 06, 2019, 11:00:23 PM
try my 'weetie pi project. its a treble booster/fuzz/octave up/gated fuzz using common parts that sounds really good.

I've looked at it.  "Common parts" for me means "available from one or two sources other than Mouser or DigiKey".  I've got to get a bunch of stuff moved out to the garage to clear a decent flat work surface.  #SeriousSpringCleaning
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

PRR

> I hope we (UK) get a decent trade deal with the USA ... we get raped of the US on imports as it is now and delivery time is stupid. The other way around UK to USA is easy.

I can confirm that I get used books from the UK to the US just as cheap, *including shipping*, as buying from the US.

These older books are nominal $1 and ~~$4 shipping each. Which is cheaper than _I_ can mail a book across town. I assume this fairly large UK book seller has hammered a lowball deal with a bulk shipper to get packages to LaGuardia. The delay is US Customs and then US Post Office which must final-leg deliver for free, without enthusiasm (or tracking).
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Sooner Boomer on February 07, 2019, 12:21:10 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 06, 2019, 11:00:23 PM

I've looked at it.  "Common parts" for me means "available from one or two sources other than Mouser or DigiKey".  I've got to get a bunch of stuff moved out to the garage to clear a decent flat work surface.  #SeriousSpringCleaning

dan,
you can use whatver ya got for closest values and it should still work. its pretty forgiving.
like, the 3.9m can be pretty much anywhere from 1 to 10m, the voltage dividers can be pretty much whatev ya got kickin around, 10k, 100k, i just used 470 cuzz it was the first thing i grabbed outta the resistor bin.
ya don't need  the 5p cap ya can use pretty much any diodes for the clipper.
little caps anything from about 2.2n to 100n will probably work.
its stupid simple for the most part, and ya can run just about anything for transistors in the first stage, ge, si, hi,mid, lo..
bias pot 10-50k will work, some transistors may gate sooner or later depending on value.
ya can put some pnP's in it and it will still work in the first stage. it was originally designed for leaky ass ge transistors just as a simple boost that kinda mutated like that slimy red stuff that attacks from mars.

what... you don't see that ?

shit.
hijack'd.

again  :icon_mrgreen:

my apologies. tough being the pink guy sometimes lol

have you seen them dragons in the kitchen???????     :icon_eek:

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

KarenColumbo

Can't really contribute to the Mammoth problem. But I can't help myself after following this revealing thread:

• SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

duck_arse

;D ;D ;D

mammoth? I thought they went under ......
don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on February 07, 2019, 08:44:02 AM
;D ;D ;D

mammoth? I thought they went under ......

Try to keep up, mate.  This thread is about chia seeds, which promote hair growth.  But not on ducks.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.