Power suply. Works great without the LED. With is regulator get's HOT

Started by DeusM, January 11, 2019, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeusM

Hi guys. So I built this power supply. The problem is that when I put the LED it doesn't work at all. And the regulator get's hot pretty quick. I have no idea what could it be. I double triple checked the LED polarity. I used a 4,7k resistor in R4. I read something that changing the value of R3 I can modify the LED intensity. Can it be R3? I read that it and R1 shouldn't go up to 5K.

It's not the amps that kills you. It's the "mojo"

bluebunny

Have you adjusted the trimmer yet to get a high-ish output voltage? I'm suspecting not: what you describe sounds like it's currently set to give a very low voltage output.  This means, 1) it's dropping a lot of volts (so the regulator gets hot), and 2) there's not enough Vf to light the LED.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

To me sounds very "short-ish" since it won't light.  Maybe check the LED polarity again.

Have you tried putting the LED "upstream" of the regulator?

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

measure the voltage at the regulator "In" pin, then remove D3, and remeasure the input and output voltages. please.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

DeusM

Quote from: duck_arse on January 12, 2019, 08:42:46 AM
measure the voltage at the regulator "In" pin, then remove D3, and remeasure the input and output voltages. please.
Why? The please? Should I be scared?  :icon_frown:
To measure it I have to put one probe on the uput or input pin and the other on the negative of the circuit?

GGBB

Yeah - a 2.2V zener there does not seem at all right.
  • SUPPORTER

DeusM

Quote from: GGBB on January 12, 2019, 02:59:22 PM

Yeah - a 2.2V zener there does not seem at all right.
My bad. It's actually a IN4748. I just puted what I found on Multiboiard

DeusM

This schematic doesnt have that diode. It's just for polarity protection. i don't think it shloud be a problem.

DeusM

Ok. So only the first jack works. And the LED turns on only when there is a conection ther. Could it be that I conected the black pins togheter in the board?

DeusM

Okay. I cut the left lug and all works great. LED turns on, but only when there is a pedal conected. Is that how its supouse to work?