pull down resistor

Started by Mike Z, January 12, 2019, 02:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Z

I rewired my mxr phase 90 to true bypass with an led and now I get switch pop
A cure for this would be a 1meg pull down resistor from the input of the circuit board to ground so I've read
the big question is would putting the resistor across the ground and input wire on the input jack do the same thing

GGBB

No. Putting it on the jack means: a. it's no longer true-bypass because that resistor is always connected, and b. that resistor is not connected to the circuit when the pedal is bypassed which means it's not "pulling down" the circuit input. But before you make any decisions or modifications, verify that this is the actual problem by trying it out. In most true bypass setups, the circuit input gets grounded in bypass mode, so DC offset shift usually isn't a big problem. There are other causes of switch pop.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

if ya have to, you  can run the resistor from the switch to your input jack's ground. ground is ground, and thats a common star ground point. it shouldn't affect bypass at all technically as theres no "signal" on ground <yeah, there can be>.... i've done that in tite builds.

but yeah, across your jack, it will always be there. shouldn't affect it tonally much, tho it may make your bypassed sound more strident from changing the impedance a little...

you want it in the circuit part, not the bypass part, if that makes sense. bypass should be ideally a straight shot thru. so add it to the switch, or add it to the input of the board and connect the other end to ground and you should be fine.

if it wasn't popping before, i would check your solder joints just in case.

also, if ya wire it so the input of the board is shorted to ground on effect bypass, that may help eliminate switching transients too
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr